Gotta keep an eye out for WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta keep an eye out for WIP

I don't mean Work In Progress, I mean bar stock Whipping around like a wet noodle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaulf8lipr0
    I just need one more tool,just one!

That one has been around for a while, but that is a new viewing angle. Same ponytailed guy though.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Watching CNC machines operating is like watching RC airplanes--the crashes are the best part...😂
      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
        I don't mean Work In Progress, I mean bar stock Whipping around like a wet noodle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaulf8lipr0
        Hahaaa! That was the funniest one. Dude took forever to snap that GIANT red button. That lathe was not having any part of that noodle. Took it for a ride for a while. Ponytail dint even hit the brake.

Umm, for the other cutoff situations at the lathe chuck. Yep, been there. JR

Comment

That video is such a lovely reminder to check your bleeding setups before you start machining

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hahaaa! That was the funniest one. Dude took forever to snap that GIANT red button. That lathe was not having any part of that noodle. Took it for a ride for a while. Ponytail dint even hit the brake.

Umm, for the other cutoff situations at the lathe chuck. Yep, been there. JR
            The only time I have had a shaft whip like that was on one where I expected it and so decided to turn the thing as slow as possible. It was a 13/16" diameter steering shaft from an old JD tractor about 6 feet long. The thread that holds the steering wheel on the taper needed building up and re-cutting. I welded it up and put it through the lathe head stock and thinking it would whip, I set the lathe for it's lowest speed, about 20 RPM.

No sooner than engaging the clutch that shaft went nearly 90* and cranked into a cork screw shaped mess. Took me a half hour to press it back straight, then I put it back in the lathe with the outboard end stuck through a bearing made from a block of wood and clamped to a rolling cart.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
            X