Eagle Oil Can Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Oil Can Help

Since last May I have been scouring antique stores in South Dakota and have found the following. I have spent around 50 bucks for all of them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6490.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1861524
    Each one of them is a different height, and none of them work. The bottom is missing the pump, and I hope to use the others to get measures to make a new pump for it. The middle one has a different brand label on it, shown in the next picture. The top is is a model 66 Eagle can but has a home made spout.

Name:	IMG_6491.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1861525
    Is this one made by Eagle?
    Has anyone made a pump for theirs? Any suggestions for cleaning and repairing these? Is there any parts available for these?
    The last picture is a pump assembly made by 3M.

Name:	IMG_6492.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1861526
    Does anyone know what can or bottle this fits?

Eagle oil cans are marked on the cap.
    Brookins Service Station Equipment company made a similar design, marked with only a paper label and a plain cap.

Comment

Can't help with the Eagle cans, but that Huffman oiler came from the company that is now Huffy

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...ation-history/
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Myself and a friend have several Eagle oilers. They all work fine. A non working pump may be gummed up with old
        oil. The delivery tube tip is meant for hooking open Gits cups and resting on the cup lip as you squeeze the pump.
        The early cans have the crimped on bottoms (that always leak) with the later models a solid flat bottom then later still
        a solid flared bottom.
        They all suffer from the difficulty to deliver one drop of oil when needed.
        I made a lever trigger attached to the spout tube to give a slower delivery volume. Still tricky for a drop tho.
        RichD
        RichD, Canton, GA

Comment

To answer your question yes you can make the pump assembly. There is a complete set of plans on making these from scratch on the HM forum.

Comment

Wow - think that's the same style units they used for the tin man in the wizard of oz,,, and we all know how fuqued up that dude was... never seemed to work right, always had a kink or a squeak...

Comment

Parts for some Eagle oil can are still available. I called looking for a spout for the firt Eagle pistol pump oiler I bought and they still had one in stock. So it's worth a shot to contact them for help.

Comment

I was wondering what "Eagle Oil" was, and what it was supposed to help. Is it anything like Snake Oil?
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  I was wondering what "Eagle Oil" was, and what it was supposed to help. Is it anything like Snake Oil?
                  There is a connection, I think eagles will eat snakes, so probably the eagle oil is really snake oil that has been transferred to the eagle by the eagle eating the snake. A sort of relabeled OEM version.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Can't say much that hasn't already been said, but I can tell you that you will be very happy with them when they are working. I have a pair of eagle 66 Oilers and they are easily the best. Most likely going to outlast me.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

there is some youtube videos on restoring those.
                      I think MrPete222 did a couple

Comment

Originally posted by livesteam View Post
                        Myself and a friend have several Eagle oilers. They all work fine. A non working pump may be gummed up with old
                        oil. The delivery tube tip is meant for hooking open Gits cups and resting on the cup lip as you squeeze the pump.
                        The early cans have the crimped on bottoms (that always leak) with the later models a solid flat bottom then later still
                        a solid flared bottom.
                        They all suffer from the difficulty to deliver one drop of oil when needed.
                        I made a lever trigger attached to the spout tube to give a slower delivery volume. Still tricky for a drop tho.
                        RichD
                        Back in the day when those oilers were around there was no such thing as precision oilers unless maybe if you were watchmaker. With those cans it was squirt as much oil as you can wherever you needed it and let it drip or wipe the mess up. You usually ended up with as much oil on your hand as you did coming out the spout.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Back in the day when those oilers were around there was no such thing as precision oilers unless maybe if you were watchmaker. With those cans it was squirt as much oil as you can wherever you needed it and let it drip or wipe the mess up. You usually ended up with as much oil on your hand as you did coming out the spout.

JL.....
                          The Eagle AND Huffman oilers have the very undesirable feature of a crimped seam at the bottom. EVERY oiler I have ever had that was made that way has leaked so that it puts a ring of oil down wherever you set it.

Soldered crimps are OK, and drawn containers with no seam are OK. I have tossed or sold off just about every crimp-seamed oiler I had for that reason.

Comment

It's a nice project you have taken on, but they will almost assuredly leak. I've retired my Eagle oilers for that reason and maybe even given them away. Haven't seen them for awhile. In their place I've done what you are doing but with 6 or 8 cast-aluminum Reilang oilers. One for every use, and a couple left over. Unfortunately, they are German made and there seems to be no U.S. distributor for spare parts.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

The Eagle AND Huffman oilers have the very undesirable feature of a crimped seam at the bottom. EVERY oiler I have ever had that was made that way has leaked so that it puts a ring of oil down wherever you set it.

Soldered crimps are OK, and drawn containers with no seam are OK. I have tossed or sold off just about every crimp-seamed oiler I had for that reason.
                              I have one made by Plews, maybe 20 years old or so. The can is drawn but the trigger assy. is junk. I get more oil on my hand every time I use it than what oil is actually coming out the spout. Had it replaced once but that one was no better.

JL...............

Comment

Working...
                              X