X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI; Burke #4, Hartford Craigslist

Basket case

Len

Hardly a basket case. Lead screws instead of hand levers, B&S #9 collets and it looks like the overarm is there, for $100, a steal.

Comment

I keep thinking about that Monarch lathe in Pittsburg...

Over and over ...

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
        Hardly a basket case. Lead screws instead of hand levers, B&S #9 collets and it looks like the overarm is there, for $100, a steal.
        Possibly, anyhow. Depends on wear. Re-scraping a mill is a long job.

A speedy little thing.....No back gears. Direct belt drive may not slow down enough, nor have the torque if it does. Maybe OK, but I'd question if it would handle a larger cutter well. Owners may have better info. I have back gears on my H-mill, and it does quite well with 4" cutters and slabbing cutters.

An arbor comes with it, apparently, but is the arbor type that uses a "center" on the overarm, good only for the lightest of milling jobs. You probably want one that takes an end bearing on a journal. Without back gears it may not matter, though, and it may also be possible to take the journal in the overarm even so..

it is also a mill with a SINGLE t-slot. I have a single T-slot on my H-mill, and I bet you swiftly curse out the designer who chose that setup. The options for work-holding are severely cut back by that single slot.

Depending how many B&S collets come with it, might be OK that way. Those are often expensive when found.

The $100 beats the heck out of what they often go for. And leaves cash available for the issues listed. You can get a couple arbors and still be under the common price by enough to get some cutters.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-14-2020, 05:59 PM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I think Jtiers nailed it. Great deal for the money, but no doubt it has issues too. Most of those mills were made for production work, doing the same cut over and over, using dedicated work holding. If I was looking for a small horizontal right now, it would be the Atlas MF mill.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            I think Jtiers nailed it. Great deal for the money, but no doubt it has issues too. Most of those mills were made for production work, doing the same cut over and over, using dedicated work holding. If I was looking for a small horizontal right now, it would be the Atlas MF mill.
            Is this one? https://newlondon.craigslist.org/tls...092978819.html

Len

Comment

"Basket case" around here means it's disassembled, in a basket, go find the parts.
              Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                Yup that exact one. But a lot cheaper if somebody hasn't completely restored it yet. They are out there but few and far between.

Comment

Here ya go, have another good deal: https://pennstate.craigslist.org/tls...089296556.html

Comment

Van Norman looks like a very fair deal but the seem odd for me to operate. Guess it's what you get used to. I sold a 1981 Rong Fu nothing mill for $500 10 years ago same day I listed it.

Comment

What a little beauty.

Comment

Working...
                      X