Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridgeport Spindle - The Age Old Question: To Grind or Not To Grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Bummer. Prolly a burn in you cant dent them. Id still soak them!!! Might still be a lil clump of grease grime that your cleaner wont do. I have a 2000W ultrasonic cleaner for these types of issues. Shoulda came over, I said I had beer?

My unit heats (1000w) the solvent and the transducers or what ever they are called use a kilo watt also.

Kilo..Hahaa. Our electric system along with most systems are Metric. Thats the only reason I know it. They told us in the 70s, learn metric. I love it.

Anyway. Get it to a large heated US tank. Its might pull the crap out. I have never heard of a BP bearing set get a flat spot. Ultrasonic bath is what it might need? JR
    Good point, JR. Maybe I'll dunk it and let it sit over night. My initial reaction was that there must be gunk in the bearing but I sure thought I got it all out. Wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner... maybe that'll be next on the list!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Good point, JR. Maybe I'll dunk it and let it sit over night. My initial reaction was that there must be gunk in the bearing but I sure thought I got it all out. Wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner... maybe that'll be next on the list!
      I said come over. Got a few tanks that would pull everything out of the bearings and around the bearings.

Its prolly just a piece of junk stuck in there.

So... How do you lube the bearings up after being US cleaned.

If you dont use US to clean them you are missing a step I think. I dont know.

I just have to say AGAIN. The bearing sets are expensive. I wish you lived closer. I could show you all the chit that will drop out the entire arrangement.

Its fun to see all the crud that comes out after someone says they "sterilized" it.

I think its serviceable. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

70's and 80's machines
        Hmmm, I never saw one with that tag on it.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

If I had a TIR of .0003, I would be handing out chocolate cigars and wearing a toga. Give it a dunk in the ultrasonic and see what happens.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Iv'e got that or better on the r8 spindle I made for the Tom Senior light vertical and I was chuffed to bits.

Comment

.0003 runout? That is better than any collet your using. Clapped out Bridgeport still does a better job than most new Chinese tabletop imports.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys. If the 0.0003" of runout is accurate and I can get the bearings to feel smoother, then I guess I will touch up the taper myself and use it as is. I'm still a little suspicious of my runout measurement, just because of the way the bearing feels and the fact that it was essentially run dry due to the grease pack at the top of the spindle. I wonder if I botched something and am not getting a true indication of the condition.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys. If the 0.0003" of runout is accurate and I can get the bearings to feel smoother, then I guess I will touch up the taper myself and use it as is. I'm still a little suspicious of my runout measurement, just because of the way the bearing feels and the fact that it was essentially run dry due to the grease pack at the top of the spindle. I wonder if I botched something and am not getting a true indication of the condition.
                  I would just get a real close look at the bearing rollers and races with some hi-powered magnification. Make sure there isn't any fretting wear. I would be surprised if the actual spindle bearings are sealed (as opposed to the top bearing). I can highly recommend this grease, having used it at work: https://www.amazon.com/Kluber-ISOFLE...A3886KE1E3D4MR
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Right now, the bearings are still on the spindle. Should I disassemble? Then I probably could afford a small, cheaper US cleaner and it would be easier to do a visual inspection of the races. My concern was that, if the spindle was ground in these bearings, no matter how good of a job I do lining up the witness marks, it will still probably be slightly worse on reassembly than it was before disassembly.

I guess if I'm going to cut / grind the taper myself, that becomes a moot point.

Comment

in my experience cleaning out old grease caked bearings is that they always feel like a$$ when they're completely clean. Any small imperfection or scuff mark in there seems amplified. Once they get some nice grease in them they feel alot better.

If it's going to be a beater, just finish cleaning everything up, give it a hefty dose of oil and put it back together again. Knock down any burrs in the taper with a stone and you'll be fine. Perfection is the enemy of good

Comment

Right now, the bearings are still on the spindle. Should I disassemble? Then I probably could afford a small, cheaper US cleaner and it would be easier to do a visual inspection of the races. My concern was that, if the spindle was ground in these bearings, no matter how good of a job I do lining up the witness marks, it will still probably be slightly worse on reassembly than it was before disassembly.

I guess if I'm going to cut / grind the taper myself, that becomes a moot point.
                        I would not remove them. Its a touchy matter. JR

Comment

Working...
                        X