Need radius turned in OKC area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need radius turned in OKC area.

I need to find some one who can turn a 3 inch radius on the end of 6" x 12" Round of 4140. I am in Edmond, OK, retired and can travel around the state a bit if some one can help me. Witchita isn't far for me.

Anyone able to help me? Anyone to refer me too?

How accurate and what finish do you need for this? Do you know about the programs to calculate incremental moves to approximate the curve which can be filed to smooth out the steps?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
      How accurate and what finish do you need for this? Do you know about the programs to calculate incremental moves to approximate the curve which can be filed to smooth out the steps?
      Yep sure do, that isn't the problem. The problem is my lather is not big enough for the project.

Comment

Are you making a new mortar or a shell for a big cannon?

What accuracy and finish do you need? The reason that I ask is that there is an article that mentioned using a boring bar or a hole saw to cut a sphere, dome or concave socket. I can imagine setting up a turntable on the table of a drill press to achieve your objective.

Dan
        Last edited by danlb; 03-17-2020, 06:34 PM.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Looking for someone to do this project for me.

Comment

You might try emachineshop.com. They offer a free simple 3-D drawing utility and instant quotes.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post

Yep sure do, that isn't the problem. The problem is my lather is not big enough for the project.
              "Every task is an opportunity to buy new tools."
              Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Well frustrated because no one points to a shop who can help me, I moved on to another project. Needed to get the gear puller out. So I opened up the bottom door of my tool box got down on my hands and knees dig around in the to get the puller. Seldom use. As I was rooting I around I found a heavy cardboard box blocking my way. I managed to wrestle it out my way and out on to the floor. The Box unopen still had the bill of lading attached. I read the bill and was dated 2013 and was for an 8 inch 3 jaw, chuck with back plate for D1-5 spindle- for my lathe. Open the box and carried chuck over to the steel and it worked.

Well that solves that problem. But the exercise created another problem, the gear puller was to short to reach the gear.

Comment

You said lathe was not big enough... if we knew it was we would have told you how to do it between centers..
                  Y ou don't always need a chuck to do a job..
                  you have chucks , still in the box, you forgot about. ..?

Comment

Looks like you solv3d the first problem but you still might get to buy a new tool.
                    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I seem to recall that the first time Double D showed up here he was just as recalcitrant about replying to questions. He's into cannons and such and does not want to talk about it. I HOPE the domed 6x12 thing he is building is not a projectile. That's what he was making the last time he posted here.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

No matter what you are building, help us to help you... don't leave out info that matters..
                        it's easy to say I have a 9 inch swing or 11 inch, is there a way ?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                          No matter what you are building, help us to help you... don't leave out info that matters..
                          it's easy to say I have a 9 inch swing or 11 inch, is there a way ?
                          I left out nothing. I said I wanted someone to do the job for me. Still do. My first post is pretty clear.

Everybody missed that. That was what was the most frustrating nobody responded to the question.

I need to find some one who can turn a 3 inch radius on the end of 6" x 12" Round of 4140. I am in Edmond, OK, retired and can travel around the state a bit if some one can help me. Witchita isn't far for me.

Anyone able to help me? Anyone to refer me too?
                          I don't really want to do the job my self even if I do have a chuck. I still would like to hire some one to do this job.

I am busy finishing a bunch of other half finished projects.

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                          I seem to recall that the first time Double D showed up here he was just as recalcitrant about replying to questions. He's into cannons and such and does not want to talk about it. I HOPE the domed 6x12 thing he is building is not a projectile. That's what he was making the last time he posted here.

Dan
                          People get all nervous about the subject, so I don't tell them what it is. Others say incorrect things on the subject and I get carried away correcting them, so I tend to not say.

But you are right, currently finishing up the work trim and fittings on this. https://youtu.be/fPlnAR35iPY

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                          You said lathe was not big enough... if we knew it was we would have told you how to do it between centers..
                          But you miss the point, I don't want to do it, I wanted hire it out. I said that right up front in my first post.

I am pretty busy with other projects and don't have time to spend on this. Does anyone know someone I can hire to do this project?

Like I said, I do not want to do this my self. If I don't get someone else to do it for me, it probably won't get done.

You don't always need a chuck to do a job..
                          you have chucks , still in the box, you forgot about. ..?
                          I bought the chuck in 2013 while I was working in Afghanistan. Had it shipped to the house with lots of other stuff that was stacked in the living room until I got back. When I got back, I got distracted by a woman...When you get involved with females at 67 you go as brain dead as your were at 17. For a long time my lathe was in Montana and I was in Oklahoma. Everything finally got packed up and moved from Montana to Oklahoma. Still unpacking. This chuck was bought because the chuck on the lathe was too small for a lot of my work. It was on my list I took with me of things to buy. It was on the because I might need a bigger chuck later.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
                            I do hope you meant reluctant and not recalcitrant,

Comment

Wow. That video showed a bowling ball with 15 seconds from firing to impact. Wow.

Sorry, but being in California I can't be of help finding a machine shop for you. I could make several suggestions of how to do it (this is the home shop forums, after all ) but it sounds like that won't help much. I do wonder if I could do it on my 9x20 lathe. Good luck to you.

Dan
                              P.S. Going brain dead over a woman is not unusual. Happens to women too. My mom met a man at 85 and suddenly forgot how to send birthday cards, how to call her kids and dropped most of her hobbies to be with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X