• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post

I do hope you meant reluctant and not recalcitrant,
      Well, both would apply when a person asks for help but does not respond to questions meant to clarify the request. No offense was meant.

Last edited by danlb; 03-19-2020, 02:45 AM.
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

It is essential to have a specification drawing for the part, which would be necessary if it were to be quoted on by either professionals or amateurs. The eMachineShop application would be one way to provide such a drawing, even if you don't use their services.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

But you are right, currently finishing up the work trim and fittings on this. https://youtu.be/fPlnAR35iPY

A hundred years from now, some farmer is going to wonder why he keeps plowing up bowling balls in his field.

Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I left out nothing.
            But you did.
            ... My first post is pretty clear....
            No it wasn't - you left out critical requirements: how accurate and what finish. Twice you were asked & you didn't reply. Still haven't. And you got kind of huffy about it - impatient that nobody was giving you what you wanted & were offering alternatives, like always happens on HSM.

Comment

Well frustrated because no one points to a shop who can help me, I moved on to another project. Needed to get the gear puller out. So I opened up the bottom door of my tool box got down on my hands and knees dig around in the to get the puller. Seldom use. As I was rooting I around I found a heavy cardboard box blocking my way. I managed to wrestle it out my way and out on to the floor. The Box unopen still had the bill of lading attached. I read the bill and was dated 2013 and was for an 8 inch 3 jaw, chuck with back plate for D1-5 spindle- for my lathe. Open the box and carried chuck over to the steel and it worked.

Well that solves that problem. But the exercise created another problem, the gear puller was to short to reach the gear.
              Agree many times the actual question is never answered. A lot of effort put into the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                But you did.

No it wasn't - you left out critical requirements: how accurate and what finish. Twice you were asked & you didn't reply. Still haven't. And you got kind of huffy about it - impatient that nobody was giving you what you wanted & were offering alternatives, like always happens on HSM.
                Now "everyone" is getting "huffy" that the OP does not immediately jump to attention and take their advice. Like always happens on HSM.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

There are lots of machine shops in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. One of them certainly would have the machines and time available for the right price. That seems like a much more fruitful place to search than an international forum of (mostly) small hobby shops.

And if they've all rejected the job, there's probably a reason that should give any shop owner here pause.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I googled machine shops in his hometown. There were 3 or 4 in Edmond. More in OK.C. I like recalcitrant, I think it means stupidly reluctant.

Sarge41
                    Last edited by sarge41; 03-19-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post

And if they've all rejected the job, there's probably a reason that should give any shop owner here pause.
                      Well, I agree the OP seems a bit flakey.... no clue if he really IS or not, I don't know the guy.

But, to be fair, you TOTALLY MADE UP that bit about all the other shops rejecting it. The OP never once said or implied that.

What he wants is a reference to a decent shop that does one-offs. Been there, seen it, done that.... most shops are not "general machine shops", they do contract production type stuff. You can spend a good deal of time and not find one who does one-offs of whatever walks in the door. I know of ONE in the St Louis area.

Or if someone here wants to take on a small project.

Does not seem as if he wants anything done that needs an FFL. And he does not want a "silencer" constructed, etc.

Unless someone can cite the law stating that what he wants is illegal, based on what he wants to do, I think it is unfair to pretty much claim that the guy wants something that will get you put in the pen if you touch it.

Quite a bit of black powder "cannon" items are not illegal.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

But, to be fair, you TOTALLY MADE UP that bit about all the other shops rejecting it. The OP never once said or implied that.

JT, the statement wasn't that other shops had rejected it; the statement was "...IF they (other machine shops) have all rejected the job ..."
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

JT, the statement wasn't that other shops had rejected it; the statement was "...IF they (other machine shops) have all rejected the job ..."
                          So what?

The clear and obvious implication was that they HAVE, and he came here as a last resort.....

Otherwise why even mention it?

One might ask if he has tried any local shops, which question would not have any "baggage" the way the actual statement did.

Yes, the OP is "asking for it" by being coy, cagey, and apparently trying to obtain "co-conspirators", refusing to consider doing it himself, which might, of course, be because he has not got a radius attachment that size and wants it to look good.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 03-19-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

So what?

The clear and obvious implication was that they HAVE, and he came here as a last resort.....

Otherwise why even mention it?

One might ask if he has tried any local shops, which question would not have any "baggage" the way the actual statement did.

Yes, the OP is "asking for it" by being coy, cagey, and apparently trying to obtain "co-conspirators", refusing to consider doing it himself, which might, of course, be because he has not got a radius attachment that size and wants it to look good.
                            That is a lot if what ifs, and maybes.. I read nothing like that into it.., you imagine a lot..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post

That is a lot if what ifs, and maybes.. I read nothing like that into it.., you imagine a lot..
                              Hey, the OP ADMITs being coy and cagey, and explains why, see post #13.

The words "what if" and "maybe" do not appear in what you quoted....... just in YOUR post

Obviously he does just plain not want to do the job, for his own reasons, and is wanting to hire it out...... that does not make him someone who has been turned down by everyone else.

It's pretty obvious what is implied by post #23. There was no need to have suggested that it was turned down by everyone else. It's unfair to the OP.

And even if true, could be the shops just don't take on onsey-twosey jobs. Most all here, aside from automotive machine shops, won't either.

Whatever floats your watch.... I'm out of this
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 03-19-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X