No announcement yet.

Need radius turned in OKC area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be a pretty easy job on my cnc lathe but I am on the wrong side of the country. Cutting a nice accurate radius or ball is one of those things that a cnc lathe shines at.

Comment

J Tiers , Thank You

Comment

The OP never said that he'd been unable to find a local shop to do the job for him and was therefore searching further afield on this forum. As I said before there are local shops in his area that would probably be better prospects. I didn't say they turned him down. He didn't say he'd tried. The fact that he's trying the less-than-most-logical route just raises a question. So combine that with unanswered questions and it just didn't pass the sniff test for me.

Many shops have had experience of accepting jobs that in retrospect they should have asked many more questions about, or the customer just gave them deceptive information.

If someone wants to take this job on, they should just say so. What about you, Jerry?
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Does anyone else leave the chuck key in the chuck while parting between centers, and likes to see how far you can chuck the chuck key?(If a chuck could chuck a key) How about taking your biggest chuck, extend the jaws out so only a couple of teeth are holding them in, and then overspeed the chuck as much as you possibly can while sticking your tongue out trying to just barely touch the spinning mass?

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            Does anyone else leave the chuck key in the chuck while parting between centers, and likes to see how far you can chuck the chuck key?(If a chuck could chuck a key) How about taking your biggest chuck, extend the jaws out so only a couple of teeth are holding them in, and then overspeed the chuck as much as you possibly can while sticking your tongue out trying to just barely touch the spinning mass?
            Are you saying that this endeavor might be hazardous?

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
              The OP never said that he'd been unable to find a local shop to do the job for him and was therefore searching further afield on this forum. As I said before there are local shops in his area that would probably be better prospects. I didn't say they turned him down. He didn't say he'd tried. The fact that he's trying the less-than-most-logical route just raises a question. So combine that with unanswered questions and it just didn't pass the sniff test for me.

Many shops have had experience of accepting jobs that in retrospect they should have asked many more questions about, or the customer just gave them deceptive information.

If someone wants to take this job on, they should just say so. What about you, Jerry?
              I'm nowhere near him, or I might.

But I do not have a radius tool anywhere near that size, nor do I really want to do that much large diameter 4140 on the old 10" flat belt Logan. It would fit, but that's a big volume of tough material to remove, if it is the HT. Less so if the annealed, but still takes power.

It sounds like the OP has a better suited machine to that job, considering the D1-5 spindle, and may want to just suck it up and do it. Should not take that long on his machine. It would just take too long on mine, and I'd need to make a radius tool that I'd not need in future..

TGT I may have been too tough on your reply..... you have my apology. Sounds like I just got the wrong "take" on what you wrote.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
              X