X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by TGTool View Post
    The OP never said that he'd been unable to find a local shop to do the job for him and was therefore searching further afield on this forum. As I said before there are local shops in his area that would probably be better prospects. I didn't say they turned him down. He didn't say he'd tried. The fact that he's trying the less-than-most-logical route just raises a question. So combine that with unanswered questions and it just didn't pass the sniff test for me.

Many shops have had experience of accepting jobs that in retrospect they should have asked many more questions about, or the customer just gave them deceptive information.

If someone wants to take this job on, they should just say so. What about you, Jerry?
    I'm nowhere near him, or I might.

But I do not have a radius tool anywhere near that size, nor do I really want to do that much large diameter 4140 on the old 10" flat belt Logan. It would fit, but that's a big volume of tough material to remove, if it is the HT. Less so if the annealed, but still takes power.

It sounds like the OP has a better suited machine to that job, considering the D1-5 spindle, and may want to just suck it up and do it. Should not take that long on his machine. It would just take too long on mine, and I'd need to make a radius tool that I'd not need in future..

TGT I may have been too tough on your reply..... you have my apology. Sounds like I just got the wrong "take" on what you wrote.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Does anyone else leave the chuck key in the chuck while parting between centers, and likes to see how far you can chuck the chuck key?(If a chuck could chuck a key) How about taking your biggest chuck, extend the jaws out so only a couple of teeth are holding them in, and then overspeed the chuck as much as you possibly can while sticking your tongue out trying to just barely touch the spinning mass?
    Are you saying that this endeavor might be hazardous?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Does anyone else leave the chuck key in the chuck while parting between centers, and likes to see how far you can chuck the chuck key?(If a chuck could chuck a key) How about taking your biggest chuck, extend the jaws out so only a couple of teeth are holding them in, and then overspeed the chuck as much as you possibly can while sticking your tongue out trying to just barely touch the spinning mass?

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    The OP never said that he'd been unable to find a local shop to do the job for him and was therefore searching further afield on this forum. As I said before there are local shops in his area that would probably be better prospects. I didn't say they turned him down. He didn't say he'd tried. The fact that he's trying the less-than-most-logical route just raises a question. So combine that with unanswered questions and it just didn't pass the sniff test for me.

Many shops have had experience of accepting jobs that in retrospect they should have asked many more questions about, or the customer just gave them deceptive information.

If someone wants to take this job on, they should just say so. What about you, Jerry?

Leave a comment:

replied
    J Tiers , Thank You

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    That would be a pretty easy job on my cnc lathe but I am on the wrong side of the country. Cutting a nice accurate radius or ball is one of those things that a cnc lathe shines at.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post

That is a lot if what ifs, and maybes.. I read nothing like that into it.., you imagine a lot..
    Hey, the OP ADMITs being coy and cagey, and explains why, see post #13.

The words "what if" and "maybe" do not appear in what you quoted....... just in YOUR post

Obviously he does just plain not want to do the job, for his own reasons, and is wanting to hire it out...... that does not make him someone who has been turned down by everyone else.

It's pretty obvious what is implied by post #23. There was no need to have suggested that it was turned down by everyone else. It's unfair to the OP.

And even if true, could be the shops just don't take on onsey-twosey jobs. Most all here, aside from automotive machine shops, won't either.

Whatever floats your watch.... I'm out of this
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-19-2020, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

So what?

The clear and obvious implication was that they HAVE, and he came here as a last resort.....

Otherwise why even mention it?

One might ask if he has tried any local shops, which question would not have any "baggage" the way the actual statement did.

Yes, the OP is "asking for it" by being coy, cagey, and apparently trying to obtain "co-conspirators", refusing to consider doing it himself, which might, of course, be because he has not got a radius attachment that size and wants it to look good.
    That is a lot if what ifs, and maybes.. I read nothing like that into it.., you imagine a lot..

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by lynnl View Post

JT, the statement wasn't that other shops had rejected it; the statement was "...IF they (other machine shops) have all rejected the job ..."
    So what?

The clear and obvious implication was that they HAVE, and he came here as a last resort.....

Otherwise why even mention it?

One might ask if he has tried any local shops, which question would not have any "baggage" the way the actual statement did.

Yes, the OP is "asking for it" by being coy, cagey, and apparently trying to obtain "co-conspirators", refusing to consider doing it himself, which might, of course, be because he has not got a radius attachment that size and wants it to look good.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-19-2020, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

But, to be fair, you TOTALLY MADE UP that bit about all the other shops rejecting it. The OP never once said or implied that.

JT, the statement wasn't that other shops had rejected it; the statement was "...IF they (other machine shops) have all rejected the job ..."

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by TGTool View Post

And if they've all rejected the job, there's probably a reason that should give any shop owner here pause.
    Well, I agree the OP seems a bit flakey.... no clue if he really IS or not, I don't know the guy.

But, to be fair, you TOTALLY MADE UP that bit about all the other shops rejecting it. The OP never once said or implied that.

What he wants is a reference to a decent shop that does one-offs. Been there, seen it, done that.... most shops are not "general machine shops", they do contract production type stuff. You can spend a good deal of time and not find one who does one-offs of whatever walks in the door. I know of ONE in the St Louis area.

Or if someone here wants to take on a small project.

Does not seem as if he wants anything done that needs an FFL. And he does not want a "silencer" constructed, etc.

Unless someone can cite the law stating that what he wants is illegal, based on what he wants to do, I think it is unfair to pretty much claim that the guy wants something that will get you put in the pen if you touch it.

Quite a bit of black powder "cannon" items are not illegal.

Leave a comment:

• sarge41
    replied
    I googled machine shops in his hometown. There were 3 or 4 in Edmond. More in OK.C. I like recalcitrant, I think it means stupidly reluctant.

Sarge41
    Last edited by sarge41; 03-19-2020, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    There are lots of machine shops in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. One of them certainly would have the machines and time available for the right price. That seems like a much more fruitful place to search than an international forum of (mostly) small hobby shops.

And if they've all rejected the job, there's probably a reason that should give any shop owner here pause.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    But you did.

No it wasn't - you left out critical requirements: how accurate and what finish. Twice you were asked & you didn't reply. Still haven't. And you got kind of huffy about it - impatient that nobody was giving you what you wanted & were offering alternatives, like always happens on HSM.
    Now "everyone" is getting "huffy" that the OP does not immediately jump to attention and take their advice. Like always happens on HSM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X