No announcement yet.

OT: Doctor's appointment today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While working on a wooden bridge, every nail I dropped sank, thus "sinkers"... no? Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll go back to my quarantine corner now.
    S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      I'm 76. ....I have a condition called trigger finger and it has been getting worse. It is most painful when I first wake up in the mornings and I am thinking seriously about getting the surgery. ....
      We're the same age, Paul. And I have the same condition (trigger finger) and the same pattern (upon awakening and worsening with time.) I've had two surgeries for it, 20 or so years ago, but it reappears.

I'm not likely to convince anyone else, but I know this to be a symptom of tension, hence the night time pattern.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
        Then he looked at my info again and saw I was 68 years old and told me I didn't look even 50. .
        Maybe he needs glasses. 😄

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post

Maybe he needs glasses. 😄
          You are not nice Mr. Edwards!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

One of the in-home care givers I had did the handshake test after my heart surgery (aortic valve replacement) . After he winced, he said I was doing very well and wouldn't need much help. After the second week, they canceled the PT nurse and all I had was a two times a week health nurse. All she did was check my vital signs. I told her the hospital let me go three days after my surgery. I was ready to leave the next day but it was the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post

OK - translation needed here. What's a "16d sinker" ?
              Nail trivia: https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/int...cooler-nails_o

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

I was never sure about that term "sinker" either. ...so I looked it up. A 16d sinker is about the same dia (.148) as a 10d common nail, but 1/4" longer (3 1/4" vs 3"), and it is a coated nail. I kinda thought 'sinker' meant coated, but wasn't sure about the sizing differences. That coating makes it drive in easier, and it briefly melts from the friction, which tends to lock the nail in place, making it harder to pull out. So a 16d sinker is a coated nail that's a little thinner than a 16d common.
                Hmm: I used coated nails frequently while rehabbing my century-old house because they were slightly smaller in diameter than conventional nails, and less likely to split old wood. (Conventional nails used where shear-strength a factor.) There was skill involved in driving them because an off-kilter hammer blow would easily bend them: for 20 and 30-penny coated nails I would fasten a pair of vise-grips in the center of the nail to reinforce it while driving it in.

Comment

Instead of crushing someones hand (vague, they may be a wimp), pick up the bathroom scales and squeeze them, using both hands. Note the reading. More comparable?

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
                    for 20 and 30-penny coated nails I would fasten a pair of vise-grips in the center of the nail to reinforce it while driving it in.
                    20 and 30d? ....I don't know that I've ever driven any that long. Unless maybe it would be some of those galvanized nails that are driven through ferrules for hanging rain gutters. They might be 30 penny.
                    Last edited by lynnl; 03-19-2020, 04:47 PM.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I have used 20d nails for full size 2x4 studs and 3x8 ceiling joists in my old (1877) house.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                      X