Walton tap extractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walton tap extractor

Does anyone have experience with Walton tap extractors ? I was thinking of trying one. First time in quite a while I broke a 6-32 tap off yesterday. A new tap costs less than the extractor but some times you have quite a bit of time invested in a part and when you are just about finished you brake a tap off. In that case it would be worth while to successfully remove the tap if possible.
    Larry - west coast of Canada

Why yes, indeed I have.

Did no good, and added more broken stuff to the mess.

Taps WOULD come out nicely, IF they did not shatter into bits, AND if they did not have swarf stuck in them.

Problem is that they ALWAYS have both those conditions when I need to extract them, and those Walton "toys" only work if the tap could just about be unscrewed by poking with a scriber.

Other than that, they are perfect............
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-17-2020, 04:55 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I have had no luck with any of those gizmos. The best luck I've had is using a carbide straight flute drill or a carbide endmill just large enough to take out the center of the tap. Then bust and pick'em out. By the way the drill or endmill is sacrificial always! Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
      Bob

Comment

I've used them before sometimes successfully, sometimes not. They are sort of like easy-outs, if the broken off tap or bolt is not really jammed into the hole, it can provide a handy handle to back it out with. But if the broken part is jammed in the hole, which is very likely why it broke in the first place, you end up with just more broken stuff in the hole as JT mentions.

So I use them as a "give it a try" thing when I use them, but I am very careful to not push too hard. If the broken tap won't come out really easily I don't push the issue and move on to other methods.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
          I if the broken off tap or bolt is not really jammed into the hole, it can provide a handy handle to back it out with. But if the broken part is jammed in the hole, which is very likely why it broke in the first place, you end up with just more broken stuff in the hole as JT mentions.
          I have a full set of those. Just like these folks said, go easy with them. They are good when the tap is deep but free.

I usually break taps by the side force my big gut puts on them So they usually just twist out fine.

I hate tapping. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
            I hate tapping. JR
            He'd rather single point the thing! JR is known as a purist!

Comment

Thanks for the input. You have convinced me not to spend my money on a tap extractor as I will probably be disappointed. I have had a lot of experience and much success removing broken bolts but not much success with taps. It was actually my own fault. I was using a worn tap so had to apply too much torque to get it to cut once I got deeper into the hole. Should have tossed it out and bought a new one earlier. Now I don't have the choice.
              Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Cuttings,
                I never toss a dull or worn out tap. I save (in a place not to mix them up with the good taps) them for cleaning out existing but dirty threads that would just dull a good tap. Or cut them off and make bottoming taps if they are in better condition up away from the end.

Comment

Working...
                X