16C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16C

I made a low ball offer on a 16C pullback chuck today. I didn't really care if I got it or not. I got it. No counter offer or anything. Now I've got to chase down some 16C collets and D1-5 back plate to mount it on, and make a 16C draw bar. I'd been looking at 16C because it has a much larger range than 5C. 16C collets tend to cost significantly more than 5C collets so I expect I won't have a "full set" with extras like I do for 5C any time soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8311.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1862215

Cost $100 plus shipping.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

What is the grip range?

And........ Is that story kinda like the explanation of how expensive "free" stuff can be?
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Oh yeah I'm sure there's a certain amount of the whole free stuff costs more kind of thing. the advantage to a collet chuck if it's properly setup is you can get very little run out and if you swap to a different collet if it's a decent quality your run-outs going to be the same, and you can take a part out and reverse it and put it back in and your run out and still be the same. You should be able to get repeatability of within a few ten-thousandths unless the lathe it's elf is real garbage.

I know standard size 16c collet go up to at least 1-5/8. There may be non-standard ones or step collets that go up larger.

please excuse the run together commentary above. I'm using voice to text to type this right now.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Well 1 5/8" is pretty darn good, sez the guy who has a 3C machine, and has not finished rebuilding the native 5C machine.

Even better if the spindle will pass the same size.

Nice thing about a collet chuck is it has no drawtube, but that seems to be just a holder? No capability to pull the collet as part of the chuck?

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

It's called a pullback chuck. Hence why in the first post I commented about having to make a draw tube for it. The lathe I will use it on has a 2 inch bore.

Comment

one of the advantages to spindle nose adapters or pull back chucks that do not have a collet closer built into them is that you can open the collet with the lathe still spinning. of course somebody will come on and wailing howl about the safety of doing that, but it is a possibility and it can be used to speed up production if somebody works up a process that's safe to do so. on my little 3C spindle nose lathe I routinely bump the wheel on the back to try and get it to open before it spins all the way down so I can pull a part out of it with a pair of pliers and drop it on the bench.if I had a lever closer I wouldn't need to stop the lathe at all. Just stick the new piece of stock in and flip the lever.

Comment

I should have Herbert 2D collets, they go up to 1 5/8.. do they look like this ? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-18-01-53-41.png
Views:	177
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1862299

Comment

See, one thing leads to another ! Been there!

JL..............

Comment

The 2 D collets are about 3 inches long. B&S 21 is similar looking but about 1/3 the size.

Comment

16C Is a similar profile to other C series collets. 1C, 3C, 5C, 16C, 20C, and 25C are similar profiles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16C Collet.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1862345

Comment

I spent a little time shopping around for sources on 16C collets this morning. 16C collets are expensive, but I already knew that. Cheap imports found on Ebay are around $18 each. Name brands new are $85-125 each. Then I discovered something cool. There is a 16C:5C adapter collet. Its a couple hundred dollars, but it would allow me to use all the 5C collets I already have for my spindexers and collet blocks. Penn Tool sells one from Vicon that sadly lists 5 tenths runout. I ran across a paper on one from Hardinge, but haven't found it sold anywhere as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                        You should be able to get repeatability of within a few ten-thousandths unless the lathe it's elf is real garbage.
                        Do you have lathe elf's? I only to mills

Comment

Working...
                        X