Cutting Board - Dishwasher - Homemade Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Board - Dishwasher - Homemade Clips

Why buy a $2 clip when you can design your own and spend hundreds of dollars of design and machine time making your own.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0936.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1862236
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0937.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	4.26 MB
ID:	1862237
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Several years ago I bought a bunch of cutting board material from a restaurant supply shop so I'd have a ready supply of HDPE. At the time it was the cheaper way to buy small pieces.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I do stuff like this as well. As I like to say: If I can over-complicate a simple project, why have all this stuff in my garage?!

Comment

cough3dPrintercough

Kidding aside, perfect tool for that particular job is a 3d printer. Going off the title, im guessing you milled those out of a cutting board?

Comment

If they were indeed milled from solid (and they look like they'd lend them selves to that), then I'd think they'd be stronger and more dishwasher machine-resistant than 3d printed plastic.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
            If they were indeed milled from solid (and they look like they'd lend them selves to that), then I'd think they'd be stronger and more dishwasher machine-resistant than 3d printed plastic.

Ian
            Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
            cough3dPrintercough

Kidding aside, perfect tool for that particular job is a 3d printer. Going off the title, im guessing you milled those out of a cutting board?
            They were milled from a solid. I cut a bunch of pieces including spares. in a pretty short time on the smallest 24000rpm machine in the shop. I do not know about the strength of all 3D printing options, but cutting boards (HDPE/starboard) are quite strong.

My son recently started 3D resin printing. We haven't done any strength testing, but flexibility might be an issue. He mostly uses it to print miniatures which he then hand paints. I did get him to print a master mold for me which I can use to cast multiple silicone molds. We are about half way through that project. That is one of the two masters has been printed.

I originally started using the cutting boards for making snap in mounting brackets for small circuit boards in one of my CNC mill control cabinets.
            Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-18-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Why buy a $2 clip when you can design your own and spend hundreds of dollars of design and machine time making your own.
              One of our member's signature says something like..."to become a millionaire, start with $10 million and take up machining as a hobby". Just following protocol.
              S E Michigan

Comment

A friend is quite invested in the extruder style 3-D printing. He made a dozen different attempts to make clips for my dishwasher and none of them were able to be flexible enough to snap into place while stiff enough not to deform when the drying cycle heated it it. He used many different materials (he has a book case full of filaments) and redesigned a whole bunch of times. I posted about it here somewhere. I milled clips out of aa sheet of HDPE too.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

But are you sure that the cutting boards are really "solid". I have some that I made some covers for the shop with and they are clearly made from individual pieces of different colors. It was probably pressed together with a high temperature to fuse them together. It has a nice marble appearance and I liked that a lot better than red or yellow or even the white cutting boards that were also available.

But if those cutting boards were clearly assembled from individual pieces, then perhaps that is also true for others that are solid colors.

Just thinking.

I have some scraps of those cutting boards and a 3D printer. Perhaps I could do a comparative test.

Originally posted by Ian B View Post

Ian
                  Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-18-2020, 05:17 PM.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                  X