Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Why EXACTLY is hand sanitizer made with 50% methanol denatured alcohol is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Why EXACTLY is hand sanitizer made with 50% methanol denatured alcohol is bad?

Since you can't get isopropyl anymore I was thinking of making sanitizer with one of the gallons of denatured I have. Looked at the MSDS and see it's 50-50 ethyl and methyl alcohols. So what's the problem with using the methyl? It's not for drinking. Is it toxic by skin absorption?

You can get isopropyl, if the store is not out of it. Most are now.

The 50% is not good enough, you really need between 60 and 70% as I have been told.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

One source I read recommended 2/3 99% isopropyl and 1/3 aloe vera gel with a little essential oil if you wanted. Just today I received the alcohol I ordered from MSC and a local store had aloe vera. I didn't order a pallet load so there should be some left for others.

The panic buying amuses me. We've got toilet paper and Kleenex enough for three weeks or so but my wife thinks I should get a little more. Huh? The local Walmart is empty of a number of things (including toilet paper) though they've got some packages of paper towels for the truly desperate. I could get all the fresh fruits and vegetables I wanted.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
        I could get all the fresh fruits and vegetables I wanted.

Yeah same in these parts but I think there's a reason for that - who would want to risk it ? non-packaged - people fondling them and coughing on them - then you buy them and get the bug,,,

Normally i buy allot of produce but taper off in the winter months just for that reason anyways cuz it's cold and flu season --- but now? im not interested...

Comment

There is no problem with using denatured. As above, 60-70%. I have a gallon of 98%... had it for year... might be useful now.

Comment

There is still plenty of Dawn and Palmolive dish soap on the shelves here.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Yeah same in these parts but I think there's a reason for that - who would want to risk it ? non-packaged - people fondling them and coughing on them - then you buy them and get the bug,,,

Normally i buy allot of produce but taper off in the winter months just for that reason anyways cuz it's cold and flu season --- but now? im not interested...
              Why worry about that?

You will almost certainly get the "bug" anyway..... it's out in the world, and so now it is a fact of nature. Unless a vaccine is developed, there is every likelihood that 60 to 80% of people will get it at some time in the next year or two, just like colds and 'flu. It's considerably more communicable than colds or 'flu.

The chinese are now passing the rumor around that it came from the USA via some athletes last year. Facts seem to be that it came from fruit bats in china.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I've been doing some reading. The top three cleaners/disinfectants that most sites recommend are:

1. Bleach, properly diluted (1/3 cup per gallon of water)

2. Plain, ordinary soap and water. The brand or type does not matter.

3. Alcohol based hand cleaners. They do not seem to differentiate between different types, but ethyl is often mentioned. The 70% concentration level seems to be what is recommended but I assume that higher percentages are also good.

One statement that seems to say it all is that with a virus it is the scrubbing that is effective, not the type of soap. They went on to say that you are not killing the virus, you are just washing it off your hands and down the drain. From what limited knowledge that I have about viruses, that seems to make a lot of sense. Antibacterial and antiviral are two different things.

I would not recommend the bleach for your hands; save it for cleaning surfaces.

I am not an expert. I am only repeating what I have seen from multiple sources.
                Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-18-2020, 02:04 AM.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                  There is no problem with using denatured. As above, 60-70%. I have a gallon of 98%... had it for year... might be useful now.
                  Can you tell me more about why you say no problem? People seem way more concerned about using methanol on your skin.

To everybody else,sorry about it if i was unclear, I know exactly about the alcohol percentage requirements and I was talking about 98% alcohol that was 49% ethanol and 49% methanol.

There's no isopropyl nor aloe available. The WHO has a recipe using ethanol, glycol and hydrogen peroxide.

Comment

Do not use methanol on skin contact!

Around here(finland, europe) there is also alcohol denatured with other means than methanol, maybe that is the source of confusion?

methanol poisoning through skin is not that easy to get in single splash but in repeated exposure the methanol accumulates in your body(like rubbbing your hands 12 times per day).
                    there is cases of people going blind after splashing their clothing with methanol. Orally as little as one teaspoon will cause blindness.
                    Last edited by MattiJ; 03-18-2020, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Washing your hands with hard bar soap is the best and most effective solution.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut
                        Vodka is 80% ethanal. I went looking how to make your own alcohol and found this web site that explains it all. learntomoonshine.com.
                        Vodka is only about 40% ethanol commonly. Stronger versions also exist but not available everywhere.
                        40% alcohol is 80 "proof" in US parlance.
                        In some countries or states there is also 80% or 95% alcohol (160 to 180 proof) alcohol on sale for consumption. Anything above 150 proof should be good for COVID.

Comment

Paul A,

Interesting on what soap does - I'm reading exactly the opposite! So I read, it doesn't wash the virus away, it breaks the cell membranes and destroys it. Here's one of many articles: https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-soap-is-dope

You're right about antibacterial & antiviral; buying antibacterial soap's no better than any ordinary soap.

Ian
                          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I just had the epiphany: the boiling point of methanol is 22° lower than ethanol, I can just boil it off! I've got a cool Bluetooth thermometer for smoking meat where I can set a temperature alarm so all I need to do is set a temperature alarm for 10 degrees higher than the boiling point of methanol and I can stop it before the ethanol starts to go. I wouldn't drink it, but it should be safe enough for sanitizer.

And, of course, I'll do this outdoors and not over an open flame.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Why worry about that?

You will almost certainly get the "bug" anyway..... it's out in the world, and so now it is a fact of nature. Unless a vaccine is developed, there is every likelihood that 60 to 80% of people will get it at some time in the next year or two, just like colds and 'flu. It's considerably more communicable than colds or 'flu.

The chinese are now passing the rumor around that it came from the USA via some athletes last year. Facts seem to be that it came from fruit bats in china.
                              True, but I would rather get it later after the peak, not when hospitals etc are swamped and unprepared.
                              Hopefully a year or 2 later if medical services are required they are available and they have had time to learn what treatment is effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X