Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Why EXACTLY is hand sanitizer made with 50% methanol denatured alcohol is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not going to read through this whole mess of different types of chemistry --- if it's safe enough to drink it's safe enough to put on your hands right? so why not buy everclear or even vodka - if too strong cut it with the right amount of distilled - then add your aloe to keep it from drying out your hands.... ?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Im not going to read through this whole mess of different types of chemistry --- if it's safe enough to drink it's safe enough to put on your hands right? so why not buy everclear or even vodka - if too strong cut it with the right amount of distilled - then add your aloe to keep it from drying out your hands.... ?
      Everclear would work, but vodka at 40 %v/v is too weak to be fully effective.

Comment

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post

then everclear it is, if it's safe enough to drink - it's safe enough to put on your hands...

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
          My guess would be >99% is evaporating off. But note, the term 'denatured' at least in the US, can mean up to 60% methanol!
          My Denatured Ethyl from the label

Ethanol (200 proof) - 100 volume
          Ethyl Acetate - 1 volume
          Methyl Isobutyl Ketone - 1 volume
          Methanol - 1 volume

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            You guys really don't get it yet, even Everclear and aloe are not to be had, the shelves are empty.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

You guys really don't get it yet, even Everclear and aloe are not to be had, the shelves are empty.
              ​​​​​​
              For some reason, that is NOT true of Everclear here. Of course it is expensive as heck, since it is taxed as liquor. If you want isopropyl, flour, sugar, bread, bottled water, TP, hand sanitizer, etc, they are not to be had at all.

Beer is good, and people are crazy.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Amen brother!

Comment

Reading this thread.prepares you for the greatest quote from Jerry

Amen Brother # 2

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

It's from a song. You can look it up.

Doesn't make it not true.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

It's from a song. You can look it up.

Doesn't make it not true.
                      Some of those country songs are great !

"I never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch" is one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by achtanelion View Post

Light the vodka on fire before it evaporates, that should kill the bugs.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/5...-Sanitizer-Gel

oh boy, at least don't drink it
                          https://thelogicalindian.com/news/co...ake-news-20085

Comment

My understanding of how the alcohols work comes from an interview on UK radio with someone in viral research who sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

The corona family of viruses work by having spikes - hence the crown reference - and these spikes attach to the cell membrane, but the spikes are coated in a 'waxy substance' that kids on the membrane to accept the spike as part of themselves, the membrane grow around the virus and it's in.

The key to preventing the virus from working is to dissolve this waxy substance, and soap and alcohols do this to various extents. You're not destroying the virus, or its proteins, but messing with the waxy surface coating, leaving the virus in a state that your cell membranes don't invite it in to the party.

But on the methyl poisoning problem, I use what we call meths in the UK as one of the useful solvents when preparing wood for surface treatment. If I'm scrubbing a wood surface with steel wool and meths, I won't use gloves. Just like cleaning metal with petrol. Don't use diesel, but I would use gloves with diesel. Anyway, my bare hands may be in contact with meths soaked rags or steel wool for up to half an hour as I treat a wooden door or other large bit of furniture, and I'm not blind yet. I don't do this every day, but when I stripped my dozen or so doors, or just prepared them after professional stripping, I must have had several hours of my hands wet with meths.

I will have no hesitation washing my hands with meths when my sanitiser runs out. I'm currently using veterinary quality sanitiser that quotes 45% 2-propanol and 30% 1-propanol, so I guess it's 75%, but I haven't got nearly enough to last the distance.

I don't know how having the OH on the middle carbon (iso) rather than the end one affects the ability of propanol to dissolve high mw oils

How about cellulose thinners, with or without xylene ? Or what we call White Spirit - the stuff you wash paint brushes with after using oil-based paint ? Or just go straight for petrol, or automotive gasoline across the pond ? I don't think the rest of my family will like the smell of petrol at the dinner table !

And decent scrubbing brushes can't be had here anymore. I regularly scrub the stones from my fish tank to get the algae off. New scrubbing brush - lasts three or four weeks. Old scrubbing brush from ten years ago - still going strong.

If I could, I'd have elected to get the virus early, before it reached the peak. Pros - quieter hospitals and less of a miserable time trying to hide from it. Cons - they'll be better at treating it with more experience.

It reminds me of Country Joe, singing we're all going to die, during the low times of the war with the VC.
                            Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Like I said I've been kicked off some other (left-leaning) blogs for daring to suggest denatured or meths. Instead of following their accepted wisdom from their authorities.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X