Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    When I install mine I first check the fit of the table to the chuck with blue then carefully ground it in with flood coolant and a long labourious spark out. There after when I just have to be sure, I grind a parallel in place. That to can trip you up....i after several poor results trying to get something flat I discovered I had a garbage made in India parallel that I could actually twist in my hand!

Anyway, assure a full contact fit to the table, spark out with flood and grind in a parallel when it really matters are the take aways.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    If it's been that long since being surfaced I would think it's time. Trick I picked up from an old toolmaker is to soak down the surface of the magnet with WD-40 between passes. The WD keeps the lead and brass damping from loading the wheel up and also reduces heat input.
    It also helps seeing where the highs and lows are while grinding. I do that by coating the surface with a fat black marker before the spark pass.

I've got a 6x12 B&S magnet very similar to that one, the magnets in it are nearly completely dead. The one I have just uses steel bar magnets.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Here is a picture of the chuck.

JL................

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    started a topic Thoughts On When To Dress Magnetic Chuck

Thoughts On When To Dress Magnetic Chuck

Lately I have been noticing some small discrepancies on parts that I have ground. Don't really notice anything on small parts under 2" wide or 2" in length but do see some thickness variation on larger parts over 3" wide and 6" long. Last time I dressed this chuck was probably 20 years ago or so. I've always kept it clean and never slid parts across it. When I did dress it I did it with the magnet engaged as directed by the mfg. So the other day I decided to indicate the surface of the chuck. What I found wasn't an alarming difference but what bothered me the most was that when I engaged the magnet the center of the chuck would rise about .0003. Usually it's the other way around I believe. Here is a diagram of my readings.
    I indicated it with the magnet engaged and with the magnet off for comparison purposes. If I remember correctly the center of the chuck would pull down a couple tenths when engaged not rise.
    Internal problems?? not sure. The lever moves with the same amount of force as it always did. MO means magnet off in the diagram.

Should I dust the chuck again or do I have other issues? The chuck is an older B&S 6" x 18" with the lead segments. It's a PIA to grind it.

JL.................

Working...
X