Seasonal DST Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal DST Change

For those who care about such matters. This BB software does not automatically adjust for the twice-yearly switch to/from Daylight Saving Time. I was confused a few times recently by posting times I would see. Finally I remembered we had discovered this little shortcoming soon after the software upgrade.

To make the adjustment manually, go into 'Profile' then 'Account' There is no DST option so you have to pick the time zone next door.

I'm sure many, more astute than I, have already attended to this, but I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of other dullards like myself.
    Last edited by lynnl; 03-18-2020, 01:38 PM.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

After reading the above post I went to my account and found that there is a DST option. I selected to automatically track GST changes and presto the time is correct now without changing my time zone.
    Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

I'll try that (again.) As I'm recalling, back when the upgrade was fresh, we found that neither the "Automatic" or the "Always on..." setting worked properly. Maybe something has changed, or maybe I'm wrong; either way setting once to "Automatic" would certainly be preferable. Thanks.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
        I'll try that (again.) As I'm recalling, back when the upgrade was fresh, we found that neither the "Automatic" or the "Always on..." setting worked properly. Maybe something has changed, or maybe I'm wrong; either way setting once to "Automatic" would certainly be preferable. Thanks.
        Yep, that's what I found at the beginning. Just tried it now and those settings still do nothing so I had to reset my time zone to Mountain Time.

EDIT: Ack! Just noticed that this post is timestamped an hour later. Back to my settings - back in a minute.

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Now I'm set to automatic DST. Let's see.

Yep. It's correct now, so the automatic setting now works.

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I'm OK I'm always early.

Comment

OK, so I chg'd to "Automatic Adjust" and then checked, ...and WHOA! ...now it's gone too far. "Now I'm two hours ahead of CST." Then I realized I had set mine to Eastern time to force the DST adjustment. After resetting that, now all is good for me too.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Why is a BB timestamp important?

Comment

It makes it easier to say "I'm talking about Elf's post from 3:15 PM PDT. " It's also convenient to see when the last post happened if you are following a thread.
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

...what he said. And at a glance you can see threads have been updated since your last visit, which is handy for such long running discussions as the corona virus one.
                    It just depends on your personal usage I guess.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

And sometimes I like to check the posting time when someone (not you, Lynn, or you, Dan) makes a particularly bizarre post - to check how long it'd been since the sun crossed over the yardarm.

-js

Comment

I've noticed date and time stamps that are inaccurate as well. My email accounts that I use have the same time stamp errors. I was never sure weather the date was the time the person sent the email or the time I received it. I just don't even pay attention to any of that stuff anymore. Sme change to yesterday when it's still today. The hell with all of it.

JL.................

Comment

Working...
                        X