Franklin mill? WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin mill? WTF

I've been looking for a head for my Kearney and Trecker Model K No3. I came across this thing. Its not a bad thought. Not sure if its a good thought. A Bridgeport head on a Model K No3.

So a better question how is this mounted? I figure if you have a old support that the bottom bearing hole is bad, it is a cadet to mount the head ... I guess.

The normal head does not have a up and down on it the Bridgeport does. Mounting it and removal would be painful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Franklin mill.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1862425

I'm thinking you would just leave the BP head on it and use the horizontal spindle for heavy cuts. That actually would be a pretty useful machine.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Ya know, you could fab up a jib crane mounted right on the machine to take the BP head on and off just like a normal overarm support, and just swing it out of the way when going horizontal.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

As I shopped around for my mill (much smaller than yours), I found Clausing horizontal with a Bridgeport M-head mounted on the double overarm supports.
        Here is a link to the mount, the 2 overarms hold the M-head:
        ​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertical-Mi...sAAOSwmoFczejQ
        Yours may be similar but on serious steroids.
        With the Clausing/M-head, you can leave the Mhead on the overarms and still use the outboard bearing support, you push the Mhead all the back against the mill body, and hang the outboard bearing on the end of the arms.
        YMMV

Comment

The ad doesn't list if the casting is aluminum or iron. I've poured aluminum but I think I would have to upgrade the size to pour that much or send it out for iron.
          I am starting to like this thought. I would have to find a fast way to remove it like Abom79.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
            The ad doesn't list if the casting is aluminum or iron. I've poured aluminum but I think I would have to upgrade the size to pour that much or send it out for iron.
            I am starting to like this thought. I would have to find a fast way to remove it like Abom79.
            I've seen guys on eBay listing the raw castings to retrofit BP heads.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Retrofit V-heads are an old old thing....

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page5.html
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I have seen commercially made B-port head adapters for K&T and B&S horizontal mills. They were just a casting with two bores to fit the overarms, with a split and draw bolt on each side and a 90* face to bolt the head to.

I would talk to this guy about a casting-
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBlu5xLELLs
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

here a youtube, the guy makes a overarm support from a block of steel.
                  the similar idea could mount a J-head, very stiff with no nod, no tilt. just a vertical bolt-up.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g

Comment

I have a K&T 4H, which is the same size as the 3K. Years ago I bought a Rambaudi milling head from ebay.
                    The idea was to make an adapter plate to go between the two overarms and the milling head.
                    That way, you could crank the head out from the column if you needed more reach. It would be mounted fairly high so that you could still use the horizontal aspect of the mill.
                    It has a cat40 taper, large quill, 5hp and I think a 3000rpm top speed, iirc.

Sadly, it's still unfinished in my garage due to a lack of spare time.

For reference, that is a standard 40x48" shipping pallet it's sitting on

Rambaudi

Comment

A couple more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                        here a youtube, the guy makes a overarm support from a block of steel.
                        the similar idea could mount a J-head, very stiff with no nod, no tilt. just a vertical bolt-up.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g
                        I've been following Tony for a couple of years. This was one of my 1st thoughts when I saw the image.

J Tiers;
                        Wow! I never knew there was such a thing. To make that at home would a big chunk of steel. The over head rods on the Model k No3 are 5 inches round. Using the image, it would be a chunk 2 each 3.5" X 6 "x 18" if I made it. That I might be able to make casting patterns for. Then mount the front ring to it.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Over arm mount.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1862786

Comment

Working...
                        X