No announcement yet.

Anyone tooling up to make ventilators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tooling up to make ventilators?

If Musk can do it, so can we! Maybe. I wonder what it takes. Be cool if the HSM Army could do a machinist Dunkirk in this "war" and help.

No. I'm working on an idea for an in home toilet paper machine. Press a button, get a meter or two of freshly made TP. Recycle your junk mail, put scrap paper in the hopper.

Comment

Here is a pic of the new Tesla Cyber-Ventilator

Comment

Linamar, Martinrea, and Magna are talking about it up here. They have the capacity, and connections to ramp things up as quick as could be possible. Gov seems to be helping cut some red tape as well. A few other garment companies are working on mask, and other PPE production too. And a bunch of distilleries have shifted to making sanitizer. Can't make stuff here? Bull****. <----Not intended to start a political debate or annything else of the sort. Just really tired lately of hearing that sentiment from so many people who are a couple generations removed from people who have ever made anything and think everything grows on magical trees in china.
        Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 03-20-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I heard a bit about a group in the Portland Oregon area that is looking at coordinating the capabilities of lots or small to mid-sized welding, fab, and machine shops to gear up to produce ventilators and the like. I don't know any of the details other than they are looking for local shops who might be able to help. There are some posts showing up on some of the social media sites asking for help:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1862877

And of course this can be done here. I know it's not quite the same thing of course, but I can't help but recall the statistics you read about the production during WW2, with a bomber rolling off an assembly line every 30 mintues or something Mind boggling when you think about it.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
            Here is a pic of the new Tesla Cyber-Ventilator

Are you sure? That looks like the Tesla Pickup Truck.

Comment

What exactly is a ventilator, and what does it do?
              How exotic a machine is it?

Comment

Its a primary treatment that ppl with COVID19 get put on in the hospital It uses a mask and air hose like a shop vac and forces air in their lungs , and I thing then creates slight vacuum for exhale. There is or soon will be a malor shortage of these devices. The old "Iron lung" used to do this and may be a lot easier to build , but it is bulkey. If a person got infected , he might be able to stay home instead of going to a hospital for this treatment had he built one. yes they probably inject oxygen into the incoming air.
                Last edited by David Lawrence; 03-20-2020, 09:20 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Comment

This might sound stupid, but could the oxygen from your oxy welder tank be used for an oxygen supply? or is there a special "medical grade" oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                    This might sound stupid, but could the oxygen from your oxy welder tank be used for an oxygen supply? or is there a special "medical grade" oxygen?
                    There are medical grade gasses. Even small quantities of impurities can be harmful when under pressure. Your Oxy tank may have trace amounts of other materials from the trade in or refilling process.
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Here is a project for a home-made coronavirus pandemic ventilator.

Name:	diy_ventilator1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1862908

Name:	diy_ventilator2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1862909
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                        Only in an extreme emergency. Welding gas is not pure enough, and could cause brain damage (among other things) if used for an extended period. For example, a few snorts from the torch during a heart attack maybe OK but not recommended. Long-term use is absolutely out, and can basically turn you into a vegetable.

Comment

I was really impressed that they put the call out ...on the national news, hopefully we won't need them , but it is dire times and they must get ready.
                          kudos to those offering their help for free.
                          One time in the hospital I was on an Ohio Ventilator they called it, had big bellows.. I think it breathes for you , or mostly assist with your breathing to a point where it does hit use up all your energy..
                          Last edited by 754; 03-20-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Basically it is like a CPAP machine used for sleep Apnea patents, except there is a better version called a VPAP machine ( "C" means constant -pre-set Pressure and "V" means variable pressure responding to patient needs)
                            So in a way, a Sleep Apnea machine is a junior respirator.
                            You don't use oxygen with a respirator , it uses breathing air but at a force that compels the patient to breath
                            Compressing the air is the easy part, controlling the rate/frequency and volume is the tough part
                            Just had the above discussion with my doctor
                            Rich
                            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                            X