Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Van Norman Milling Machine Craig's list

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Van Norman Milling Machine Craig's list

    Worth the time to rebuild it?

    https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/tls...096521953.html

  • #2
    Might not even need rebuilt. For sure it'll outlast most of us.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

    Comment


    • #3
      What makes you think it needs a rebuild? Looks pretty nice to me and the price isn't bad. Who knows what the accuracy until you use it.

      If however you need the absolutely actually that a rebuilt machine would provide then you'd be money ahead to spend the $7K and buy a new quality Taiwanese turret mill.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
        What makes you think it needs a rebuild? Looks pretty nice to me and the price isn't bad. Who knows what the accuracy until you use it.

        If however you need the absolutely actually that a rebuilt machine would provide then you'd be money ahead to spend the $7K and buy a new quality Taiwanese turret mill.
        It was just painted and I'm not that optimistic. 800 bucks is too good to be true. and.... I'm just trying not to buy it, yet maybe?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post

          It was just painted and I'm not that optimistic. 800 bucks is too good to be true. and.... I'm just trying not to buy it, yet maybe?
          Yeah but the ad said it was re-scraped in 64 and still pretty tight. Way I see it is, what'll it cost to go look it over in person?
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

            Yeah but the ad said it was re-scraped in 64 and still pretty tight. Way I see it is, what'll it cost to go look it over in person?
            Yep, if you are close go see it. Not anything else you can these days other than stay home in the shop.
            Mike
            Central Ohio, USA

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd buy it if I was nearby, it seems very likely a good buy. (I'm a hobbyist and I have an much more antique Van Norman and an Excello, about 1200 dollars purchase cost in total for both of them.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post


                I saw Van Norman and inside my head heard Rube Goldberg... then I saw the funny way it converts from horizontal to vertical...
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No tooling and 5V is a bit oddball taper, no arbors or arbor support.
                  I would pass.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cijuanni View Post
                    No tooling and 5V is a bit oddball taper, no arbors or arbor support.
                    I would pass.
                    Thats probably why the price is so low. Its a regular feature on PM to rebore VN spindles for more common tapers such as CAT30 or even R8
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                      Thats probably why the price is so low. Its a regular feature on PM to rebore VN spindles for more common tapers such as CAT30 or even R8
                      The price isn't low for a machine with no arbors, arbor support or collets.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I rescraped the knee for one of those a while back (customer did not want the whole deal done). Was not too bad to do, but it's a heavy sucker. Would not want to go through the whole thing.

                        Some of the gibs are a bit odd, they are a bolted down design. I had to mill one down to match the scraped worn surface. Good job I did not need to mill anything on the knee, as I had nothing that was big enough to do that.

                        Was trying to recall if that one was a Van Norman, until I saw the off-center handwheel in the CL pics..... yep had to be.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-21-2020, 12:52 AM.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions.

                        Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not looking at the pics right now , but if you can mounta Bridgeport head it would cure the ills.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It was nice of the seller to leave evidence that he gave the machine a cheap cosmetic treatment with a spray can. But I have one of these of about the same vintage (late 40s), and it is a very good machine. It's true that 5V tooling is hard (and sometimes expensive) to come by, but you can do a lot with a single shell mill arbor. Note that the overarm support for a horizontal arbor is missing, and the versatility of the machine is greatly reduced if you don't have it. They are almost impossible to find, although I had two at one time. All of that said, it might be a very good deal if it powers up and if the X-axis table feed (from the motor in back) is operational.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'll sell you all my tooling, overarm support, table end stops, slotter and toss in the mill for free.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X