Van Norman Milling Machine Craig's list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Thats probably why the price is so low. Its a regular feature on PM to rebore VN spindles for more common tapers such as CAT30 or even R8
    I have a #12.
    I had to make a new spindle from 4140, have it heat treated and ground, new bearings etc.... NMTB 30 taper.
    Because the existing spindle had a very shallow case depth and butter soft steel below, the seals wore right through it.

That is why from experience I would say to pass, collecting all the needed tooling, arbor $$$ and making another spindle $$$ or reboring the old is a project.
    Just find a VN with the tooling and parts and pieces, it isn't like everyone wants one.

$200 and I would drag it home.

Comment

That is the earlier style head, to late 40s?? The later ones had a football shape.

It may not need to be 'rebuilt', but surely a 80 year old machine needs a good teardown, cleaning and inspection.
      The grease and oil have probably been hardened sludge since Eisenhower was pres.

Of course you could buy it, park it unused in the corner, without tooling for years, like the seller most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by cijuanni View Post

I have a #12.
        ....., it isn't like everyone wants one.

$200 and I would drag it home.
        Most would want a VN 1RQ or 2RQ model, the ones with a quill, power feeds and rapids in both axis. Hell of a lot more rigid than any Bridgeport.

Comment

I was looking at a similar VN here before I got my 6x26 Grizzly. Can't remember if it was a 12 or a smaller one, but looked like it had been rescued from the Titanic and came with no tooling whatsoever. The guy was asking $700 and insisted that tooling was easy to find, then came back with $400 for it about 3 weeks later. Stout mill for sure, but the machine itself is only part of what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Moxiedad2001 View Post
            ....... Note that the overarm support for a horizontal arbor is missing, and the versatility of the machine is greatly reduced if you don't have it. They are almost impossible to find, although I had two at one time. ......
            The arbor support is really not that difficult to make. A more difficult one made by "This old Tony"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g

Neither are arbors.

A person can wait a very long time to find the perfect mint machine with all the desirable accessories.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

A person can wait a very long time to find the perfect mint machine with all the desirable accessories.
              Yep. Or they can pay a very high price. Its their choice.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Is that an "or"? Seems as if it might better be "and".

Usually the ones that need more are cheaper.... I see the Rockwell mills go for $1500 to $2k with an arbor or two, maybe an adaptor or so, and a couple cutters.. And they will not do what that one will.

Pay a big price and get the perfect machine (if you can find it), OR pay less and have to make some things. That's what you buy it to do, though, "make things".

If that one works and is not crazy sloppy, it should be a good deal. Perfection costs more, and remember, they are not making those, and every year some more of them that could be refurbished, go into the ladle, melted down by the lazy who just see them as a problem.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Indeed I was just recently shopping small mills, just to see where prices are. A "normal" Atlas MFC bench mill will go anywhere between 1 to 2 thousand, but the one that is pristine with all the accessories/attachments can go 4500 and maybe more. Ditto for lathes. So, if one has the means.... choice.

Comment

Them's "collector" prices. The actual utility of the machine does not justify the price. As with the Van Norman..... does many times the work, costs many times less. But takes some effort to move it, and to fix it up.

The lazy lose out and must pay.

Comment

Yep. You can find pristine VN's (rarely) and boy do those have a collectors price. I plan on having to fix up anything that isn't actually new. And in my case "new" is completely out of the question, unless I win the lotto.

Comment

Depends on what your time is worth.

I would rather spend $2000 or more on a nice running machine with tooling, cutters etc, and usable today!,,, then spend $800 and billion hours looking for, Ebaying, or making all the bits and pieces to have a usable machine sometime down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by cijuanni View Post
                          Depends on what your time is worth.

I would rather spend $2000 or more on a nice running machine with tooling, cutters etc, and usable today!,,, then spend $800 and billion hours looking for, Ebaying, or making all the bits and pieces to have a usable machine sometime down the road.
                          Most of the Van Norman models are horizontal mills with some vertical mill features. Making an arbor support or arbors is one thing, making collets is more complex.

Comment

Depending upon your patience, there is tooling to be had. I bought my second #12 at a local auction for $375. It was a poorer machine, but it came with full set of 5V collets in 32nds, three 12-inch arbors, other tooling, and a trove of manuals and literature. I wouldn't recommend a VN #12 as a first mill, however, depending of course on what you do. It is solid and handy for a lot of stuff, but the absence of a quill is a limitation.

Comment

Working...
                            X