Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inability to view most images if not logged in - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inability to view most images if not logged in - why?

I binge read this forum (and all other forums that I read) - I open up all the pages of new postings since I last visited and then open up the individual threads of interest as I have time to read in the following days (with out logging in). I may not log in for 3 or 4 weeks and then spend 10 days or more catching up on postings after having logged in. I see that Old Mart mention the same issue in the thread copied below. Is this by design/intent? I purposely do not log in so that all the postings since my last log-in show up as unread. Is there a different way to keep the threads showing as not read unless I actually open them? Since the sight upgrade I find that I spend much less time on this forum - when images are not easily accessible, many of the threads are of minimal value to me.

Originally posted by old mart View Post
    This has probably already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, so I will apologise in advance for repeating it.

I have just logged on to the forum without signing in immediately. I looked at a recent thread by Edwin Dirnbeck which had three photos on it. They would not open. I signed on and looked again at the thread, and the pictures were there in the normal thumbnail form. This would a bother for casual watchers, and might put them off from joining the forum in the future.

The different ways of posting pictures must have something to do with it. You do not have to be logged in to see and click on a photo, but when it says "click image for larger version", you do have to be logged in, and then the picture is there already.
    Metro Detroit

This is quite common with forum software. Why, I don't know. I just stay logged in.

Comment

I get this problem if I don't log in.

Comment

Sounds like the people that wrote this new soft ware did it purposely to keep non members from looking. I know that pics that I have posted in the past show up on google I didn't put them there.

JL..................

Comment

It seems lots of forums do this. Ni idea if there is some technical reason. I really don't know but I always sort of assumed it was done at least partly as an mild incentive for people to sign up and actually be a member of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
            It seems lots of forums do this. Ni idea if there is some technical reason. I really don't know but I always sort of assumed it was done at least partly as an mild incentive for people to sign up and actually be a member of the forum.
            No technical reason for it, but I think you are right in that it's to get you to sign up. I assume it's a configurable option because not all forums require it. The new forum is hosted by vBulletin, so it doesn't have all the features of a self-hosted system. They may not allow the logon requirement to be disabled because that will increase their bandwidth costs.

Comment

Almost all forums do this in order to encourage you to subscribe and provide details such as email which the host can then use (and does) and offer to advertisers for direct marketing (and does). They can also tell their advertisers who and how many are subscribed and viewing which is necessary to get the revenue that pays for the service.
              If you are only an occasional viewer use the "new topics" tab on the main forum page then you can go back using the tabs at the bottom probably several months if need be. I bookmarked this tab so that is how I always enter the forum, not the main page.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                ............ I know that pics that I have posted in the past show up on google I didn't put them there.

JL..................
                Yep, seems that most of mine have ended up being scooped up......
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

The new installation provides easy to use picture hosting. This uses HSM's bandwidth, and that can mean higher costs. HSM is not a picture hosting service, it's a chat forum. The login requirement will prevent users from hotlinking to the pictures in posts on other forums. For instance, a VFD discussion on Practical Machinists forum may link to a wiring diagram in one of our VFD threads if it were allowed.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Having only members get full use is norm IMHO
                    It also lowers the bandwidth the servers need/use to exhibit the thread.
                    Pictures use lots , so transmitting fewer Megs to an inquiry has to add up
                    Same as Vendor sites that let you browse, but you sign in to get detailed info ( $ or stock level ie)
                    Rich
                    Green Bay, WI

Comment

So is there a way that if I log in but don't look at a given posting, that the posting remains in bold font (unread) after multiple log-ins? I have no issue logging in - I just like (its a habit - I have been doing this with all forums since back in the www. days) to see the unread threads when logging in.
                      Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
                        So is there a way that if I log in but don't look at a given posting, that the posting remains in bold font (unread) after multiple log-ins? I have no issue logging in - I just like (its a habit - I have been doing this with all forums since back in the www. days) to see the unread threads when logging in.
                        I believe that's the way it's supposed to work. The forum stores a cookie on your computer that has the last post for each thread. When you log out it wipes it out and when you log in it reinstalls the cookie.
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X