XLO Mill (EX-CELL-O)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLO Mill (EX-CELL-O)

I recently traded off my Bridgeport, I have had this spair mill for a while and only have used it once or twice. I suppose now is the time to clean it up and condition it as now it's my main machine. I'm hoping somebody on here is experienced with these XLO (EXCELLO) machines and can help me out with a few questions I have.

1. Can the head be rotated to be put front-facing again by easily loosening these Allen head cap screws and rotating it back to center? I'm not sure if it's supposed to be turn this way, but I doubt it

2. looks like something may be missing on top where the drawbar goes. Any idea what would go here? Cap of some kind?

3. Trying to figure out the year of this machine, here are the two ID plates. Any idea on how to date this machine?

Last edited by sen2two; 03-21-2020, 03:40 PM.

4. Oiling and greasing.

On the bottom side of the motor there is a grease fitting, not sure what kind of grease would go here?

On the left side of the quill there is an oil cup, and on the right side of the head there is a sight glass and what looks like a Allen head set screw that would be a fill area. Not sure what oils go here?

There is also a grease fitting on the lead screw for the knee, haven't seen this before, not sure what grease to use?

And lastly, this power feed on the X is missing a bottom cup. I'm going to machine one. What type of oil would go in this area for the power feed gear?

Comment

Btw , our neighbour worked at XLO about 50 years ago.. helper in I think metallurgy dept. My buddy has a XLO, he likes it over his other turret mill .
      Last edited by 754; 03-21-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

That looks like an older model than the two I retrofitted to CNC, do you have the manual, there should still be a copy out there, I suspect.
        Mine had the 1:1 and 6:1 gearbox as well as the Vari-speed head, Excello later recomended using transmission fluid/oil in place of the original spec in the G.B.
        Also mine was fitted with an oil pump and injected way-lube to the slides and the ball screws, after many years the orifices at the end of the lube lines need replacing due to blockage.
        The grease for the knee lift is not that critical.
        Do you have 3 phase or are fitting a VFD if not already have one?
        Incidentally the Canadian factory was closed and I heard it was due to Union demands so the just sold the XLO version in US.
        Max.

Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 03-21-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

As to first question. If there are 4 bolts and it is turned 90 degrees, or 5 bolts and 72 degrees then it is probably a case of taking out all bolts but if the angle doesn't correspond to the bolt spacing then you are in luck and it is a T slot. Can't see why they would go the complication of making it adjustable. Somebody must have turned it to avoid a beam or rafter in their roof.

Comment

Link to an online manual-

http://manuals.chudov.com/Excello-602-Mill-Manual.pdf

#2 yes, there is an Aluminum cover that goes there, I might have one, but it will be a couple weeks before I can look, I have a few XLO parts out on the farm.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
              Btw , our neighbour worked at XLO about 50 years ago.. helper in I think metallurgy dept. My buddy has a XLO, he likes it over his other turret mill .
              It is definitely heavier and more sturdier than your everyday Bridgeport. The table is thicker, the ram is more robust, the quill has a 6in depth instead of 5. Pretty much everything about it is a little more sturdy. After cleaned up I'm sure I will be quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                That looks like an older model than the two I retrofitted to CNC, do you have the manual, there should still be a copy out there, I suspect.
                Mine had the 1:1 and 6:1 gearbox as well as the Vari-speed head, Excello later recomended using transmission fluid/oil in place of the original spec in the G.B.
                Also mine was fitted with an oil pump and injected way-lube to the slides and the ball screws, after many years the orifices at the end of the lube lines need replacing due to blockage.
                The grease for the knee lift is not that critical.
                Do you have 3 phase or are fitting a VFD if not already have one?
                Incidentally the Canadian factory was closed and I heard it was due to Union demands so the just sold the XLO version in US.
                Max.

I have a 3-phase converter that I used to run the mill.

I would love to convert this Mill to CNC. That was my previous intentions when I got this mail a few years back. But since then it's really just collected dust. With any luck, did you fully document your full CNC retrofit?

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  Link to an online manual-

http://manuals.chudov.com/Excello-602-Mill-Manual.pdf

#2 yes, there is an Aluminum cover that goes there, I might have one, but it will be a couple weeks before I can look, I have a few XLO parts out on the farm.
                  Awesome! Thank you for the link!

Let me know if you're interested in letting that top cover go. Thanks!

Comment

I have an Excello 602 mill. Great machine. As mentioned it is a little beefier than your standard Bridgeport. To answer some questions yes the head should go back to forward facing. The gear box takes ATF. Fill it to the sight glass line. I just use standard grease in the fitting on the knee. Oh yeah there should be a top cover.

Comment

I have the same machine, serial 602-7438 and was told it was a 1964 build. Someone on PM can look it up as they did for me. If I remember the Excello is 7-800 lbs heaver than a Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                        I have an Excello 602 mill. Great machine. As mentioned it is a little beefier than your standard Bridgeport. To answer some questions yes the head should go back to forward facing. The gear box takes ATF. Fill it to the sight glass line. I just use standard grease in the fitting on the knee. Oh yeah there should be a top cover.

Are are you familiar with how to rotate the head back forward? I do not want to start taking bolt out only to tear a gasket of some sort.

You just use normal automatic transmission fluid inside glass area?

Do you also have the oil cup on the left side of the head? What do you put in there?

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
                          I have the same machine, serial 602-7438 and was told it was a 1964 build. Someone on PM can look it up as they did for me. If I remember the Excello is 7-800 lbs heaver than a Bridge.
                          Awesome! I guess these mills are not as rare as I thought. Are you able to answer the grease and oil recommendations in the head?

Comment

Originally posted by sen2two View Post
                            Are are you familiar with how to rotate the head back forward?
                            Looking at the front of the machine, the head swivels left and right and back and forth. For back and forth loosen the 6 cap head screws around the pivot, 3 on each side. For both directions, there's a worm gear set up to move the head - end of the worm is square and fits the knee crank. Rule of course is always to spot the head.

I would definitely get the head back on straight, I've never seen one moved over like that and it looks like there are only four bolts. Must be eight tapped holes in the mating part
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The manual shows 4x 3/8-16 x 1" screws going thru the "head body assy", and 4x t-nut in the bottom of the "head drive assy". P14-15, and P 17-19

Sure looks as if you just loosen the 4 screws you indicated, and turn the "head drive assy" around to where you want it.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                              X