OT-Toilet Paper Shortage Apparently Worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Yea, I seen that story. I would think that is would be very hard to hide that trailer much less sell that amount of "hot" toilet paper without getting spotted. Lotta crooks are not all that bright tho...
    Cargo theft is a very large business that is responsible for 5 billion dollars worth of losses annually in Canada alone, probably close to ten times that in the US.

Make no mistake, this isn't a crime committed by fools, I'm sure that load of TP has now already been sold and is on the shelf somewhere.
    Frozen foods and fresh foods, socks, lumber, etc. nothing is immune. If it travels by truck, rail, or air, someone is eyeing it up as a target.
    It's not just electronics and the like that are a target. When you've got a 53 ft. trailer of frozen turkeys and the price is right, you'll have a customer.

Unfortunately this is a very large industry that most of us are not aware of, although we all pay for it's existence
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Welp --- main goal was to get through all this "pandemically independent" and I can no longer say that,,, that's most of what the "guy thing" was all about, but turns out the only thing more stubborn than an old italian guy is a mildly seasoned greek woman, she just pulled up, I walked outside - she opens her trunk and then immediately starts throwing toilet paper rolls at me, first one - then I say ok ok ok no more - then another and yet another of the largest most fluffiest things iv ever seen in my life...

told her she had to stop out of fear that the neighbors were watching and she's actually threatening my life with her actions because they now know " I got some "

turns out that as much of a challenge it was for me to improvise it was most likely even more of a challenge for her to "assimilate me into the hive collective" really was like an encounter with the borg... could tell at a glance resistance was going to be futile, then while pelting me with the rolls she backs it up with logic, tells me sewer systems are already having trouble from people "improvising" she's not just stubborn - she's very smart... damn - i had no choice but to cave.

Comment

I went shopping today and, as I predicted, the TP shortage is starting to ease up. Two stores that I visited had a small stock in the afternoon: WalMart and HEB (local grocery). All is not lost. And if you have that trailer full, you better have a yard sale fast or you won't have bail money when you get caught.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

The TP king....

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            Welp --- main goal was to get through all this "pandemically independent" and I can no longer say that,,, that's most of what the "guy thing" was all about, but turns out the only thing more stubborn than an old italian guy is a mildly seasoned greek woman, she just pulled up, I walked outside - she opens her trunk and then immediately starts throwing toilet paper rolls at me, first one - then I say ok ok ok no more - then another and yet another of the largest most fluffiest things iv ever seen in my life...

told her she had to stop out of fear that the neighbors were watching and she's actually threatening my life with her actions because they now know " I got some "

turns out that as much of a challenge it was for me to improvise it was most likely even more of a challenge for her to "assimilate me into the hive collective" really was like an encounter with the borg... could tell at a glance resistance was going to be futile, then while pelting me with the rolls she backs it up with logic, tells me sewer systems are already having trouble from people "improvising" she's not just stubborn - she's very smart... damn - i had no choice but to cave.
            That lends new meaning to the phrase or question, "Did you get some last night" Good on the old lady for looking out for you. She literally saved your a$$!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have tears rolling down my cheeks from my wife telling me I have to stop complaining about our black Labrador's stinky farts. She farts all the time and it stinks because she eats everything she finds here on the farm. The wife told me one of the early symptoms of Corona was lack of the sense of smell. So her blond brain thinks as long as we are still bothered by Lucy's farts we are healthy. We were laughing so hard we're both crying. I asked her if I should give here a medical checkup and fart.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                I have tears rolling down my cheeks from my wife telling me I have to stop complaining about our black Labrador's stinky farts. She farts all the time and it stinks because she eats everything she finds here on the farm. The wife told me one of the early symptoms of Corona was lack of the sense of smell. So her blond brain thinks as long as we are still bothered by Lucy's farts we are healthy. We were laughing so hard we're both crying. I asked her if I should give here a medical checkup and fart.
                Be grateful it is not a cat fart, I remember when my kitty let one.... it was so bad I had to leave the house. I swear it made the carped curl up and the paint run. That was seven years ago and I still remember it...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1584222742450.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1863670

Comment

That lends new meaning to the phrase or question, "Did you get some last night" Good on the old lady for looking out for you. She literally saved your a$$!
                    Turns out it was all for moot - went into the supermarket today and more and more is being restored to normal --- even scored some more rice but no dry beans yet and im waiting for that, went and looked at the TP isle and low and behold there was some now --- so could have made it - woman done took that away from me - she took my pride... but that's what they enjoy doing - crushing your spirit...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      so could have made it - woman done took that away from me - she took my pride... but that's what they enjoy doing - crushing your spirit...
                      Pretty sure she'll be dropping by with some cooked food. Maybe magic beans.

Comment

I just got back from shopping at the local Food Lion. Mostly, I just really needed toothpaste, although I found a small tube in my camping gear. I called first, around 4:00 PM, and they said there were very few customers, and that was correct. They were out of TP, but apparently had some earlier in the day. No worry - I have eight super-size rolls, and each should last me a week or so, especially if I don't eat a lot, and especially make sure it is "good" food. When I've been eating right, I only need a few sheets to git-er-done. I have a "Charmin clean" bear ass

There was almost no ground beef, except for the organic free range kind for about $6/lb. Maybe I should have bought some to help those ethical producers. Also almost out of bacon, and not much variety of lunch meat. I got a pound of smoked ham for $4. I bought the last pound of their broccoli crowns. I also wanted to buy propane, which was on sale for $15, but they were out of that. Maybe lots of people barbecuing? I use it for my gas range and clothes dryer. They had already rung it up, so I had to go to the service desk to get credit, and they credited back the full $18.

I was going to get $40 cash back on my Discover card, but they said they didn't have any cash! Probably to avoid unnecessary contact with dirty money?
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I just saw an explanation of why TP. Basically, it is the visual impact. It kind of makes sense: not the hoarding, but why TP.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-toilet-paper/

I can see it. It is really strange to walk up to the TP isle at Walmart and see just the shelving from one end to the other. That site has an impact on anyone.
                          Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-24-2020, 09:13 PM.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Yesterday a shelf-stacker in our local supermarket was approached by an anxious shopper clutching a pack of toilet rolls.
                            She wanted to know their expiry date.

New Zealand is now in full lock-down. With a population just under five million, as of 0200GMT Wednesday 25 March we have 205 cases (all but a handful related to overseas travel), six of them in hospital (none in intensive care), and no deaths—yet.
                            This is definitely going to get much, much worse before it gets better.
                            Fortunately, I have plenty of toilet rolls—and a fig tree.

Comment

We all have seen signs in stores relating to buying things in bigger numbers brings the price per item down. 1 for a $.25 or 5 for $1.00 Now it needs to go the other direction. 1 for $.25 or 5 for $50.00 Problem solved.

Comment

We all have seen signs in stores relating to buying things in bigger numbers brings the price per item down. 1 for a $.25 or 5 for $1.00 Now it needs to go the other direction. 1 for $.25 or 5 for $50.00 Problem solved.
                                Better minimize the shopping trips and buy enough for a several days. Of course nobody shouldn't need 600 rolls of TP.
                                Once the initial hoarding is over the availability should return back to somewhat normal. Here the shops have been stocked with everything as usual for almost a week already.
                                Only respirators/masks are impossible to find and hand sanitizer is also somewhat difficult to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X