Cam Ring Pins are striped out on my Bridgeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Ring Pins are striped out on my Bridgeport

Cam Ring Pins are striped out on my Bridgeport. I’ve been putting up with it but yesterday sticking shims under the Cam Ring just got old.

I am pulling it apart today to see if there is already a spare set of unused holes. (info I found on saying that some came with spares drilled and taped.

I also found a steps to make a new ring pin holes but it is not very clear. It is also a very old post(2005)

Where does the shim go? :

"Due to wear on top where cam ring slides, I would first assemble top housing with a circular shim to get dog clutch teeth up to proper disengaged height. Make it say ~ .010 or so, set it on backgear dog clutch holding teeth (upper and lower) apart to hold sleeve up out of engaged position. Be sure to turn cam ring to proper position ~ 3:30 instead of 6 o'clock. Backgear position.
    A small quickly made drill bushing, can then be set in cam ring slot, and the hole located. Height will be same on other hole and it's position will be 180 degrees out on rear of sleeve. The reason the shim needs to be there, is to prevent dog clutch teeth from sitting too low, and hitting lower clutch teeth...Remove shim after locating ring pin holes."

Please , if you can, post a picture.
    Thanks

Comment

As soon as I get it apart.

I believe the Ring Pins (not shown) holes go into #13, lifted by Cam Ring #84, hold from turning by the case #4. My Ring Pins tilt and will not lift #13 high enough to disengage.

ISPB:http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2099/3434.pdf

Photos coming.

Comment

My Mill had three positions for the ring pins. It also has allen screw going from top down that tighten against the Ring Pins. The ones that were in use had been drilled out, tap, to a lager size.

I rotated it and use the next one in line.

Photo #1 What is left of the ring pins.
        Photo #2 I made some new ring pins. Not sure if I will order any new.
        Photo #3 All back together. The two screws will be replaced with allen screws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_134431.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1863266Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_151202.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1863267Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_160654.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1863268

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, sorry I can't be of help, I didn't know what Cam Ring Pins were.
          Now that I've seen the pictures, the Bridgeport that I have is different.
          Larry

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
            As soon as I get it apart.

I believe the Ring Pins (not shown) holes go into #13, lifted by Cam Ring #84, hold from turning by the case #4. My Ring Pins tilt and will not lift #13 high enough to disengage.

ISPB:http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2099/3434.pdf

Photos coming.
            The interface between #13 and the housing is the most neglected lubrication point on a Bridgeport. They usually get dry and stiff to move and that is when the cam pins start seeing stress and loosening up.
            Most have a half round slot milled in them like the one in this picture-
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/1HP-SPINDLE...-/290626795023

A few drops of spindle oil or 10wt machine oil in there couple times a year keep that sliding easy.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
            X