O.t. Dont let your gas tank get low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.t. Dont let your gas tank get low

Most of todays gas and diesel vehicles have high pressure fuel injection pumps and injectors. These devices depend on the fuel for lubrication and cooling.THEY DONT LIKE AIR IN THE SYSTEMS.An interesting case is some Ford trucks with the Navistar diesel engine,verses the Navistar trucks with the same engine.The Ford trucks had flat bottom fuel tanks and when the fuel was low ,the fuel sloshed around and air would get sucked in. Over a period of time,when the air got to the high pressure pumps and injectors ,the pistons in these devices slammed down and pounded themselves to death.The Navistar trucks had rounded bottom fuel tanks ,and didn't have this problem.Also the Navistar trucks has a return fuel line ,this helps burp the air out and keeps the fuel cooler.This might or not apply to your vehicles. At this time of national crisis,the last thing we need is car,truck troubles. So,why take a chance, don't get low on fuel.. Edwin Dirnbeck

How is it in this day and age that we still have vehicles that are subject to damage from such a common problem? Running low while climbing hills has got to be something that happens frequently enough that it should not be ignored.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

After 215K on my VW Jetta I have always ran the diesel down to fumes. Never a problem. Just say'n. I don't do it on my F-150 Ford truck, it has a 37 gallon tank and I have to rob a 7-11 just to pay to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
        I don't do it on my F-150 Ford truck, it has a 37 gallon tank and I have to rob a 7-11 just to pay to fill it.
        That's why 7-11 sells gas -- one stop shopping.

Comment

Common knowledge on modern FI motorcycles - do NOT run out of juice....

Comment

Working...
          X