OT - HF Steps Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danlb View Post
    Not from a validated authority, but I read that the virus did not survive temperatures above 140F. This bodes well for being able to take a mask off, wash it and dry it in the clothes dryer or the kitchen oven set to low for 10 to 15 minutes.

Dan
    We went shopping yesterday, so today I disinfected my mask using heat. I took the guidance from the third page of this PDF, section headed "Heat Treatment of Viruses" . I'm interpreting it to say that 30 minutes at 150 degrees will kill the virus. I set up my garage toaster oven and verified the thermostat was reliable. Yep, with the dial set to 200 degrees I read a constant 155 with an oven thermometer and confirmed as being closer to 150 with a digital one.

The mask I'm using is the Harbor Freight Western Safety Carbon Filter Neoprene Dust Mask With Replaceable Liners. It is not N95. I'm only expecting it to catch airborne viruses that are suspended in droplets. I popped it in the oven for 30 minutes and let it cool when I turned it off. I'll let you know in 21 days whether or not it was successful.

An excerpt from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...67600701200206

Incubation of SARS-CoV at 58°C or 68°C showed a
    rapid reduction in infectivity with a mean log viral reduc-
    tion (LVR) of 4.9 log 10 TCID 50 /ml after 30 minutes at
    58°C and • 4.3 log 10 TCID 50 /ml after 10 minutes heating
    at 68°C. The results are presented in (Figure 1). Not sur-
    prisingly, virus inactivation was more rapid at 68°C than
    58°C. The detection limit of the virus titration method
    (1.5 log 10 TCID 50 /ml) was reached after 30 minutes heat-
    ing at 58°C and 10 to 30 minutes heating at 68°C.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
    X