OT: Good Things About This Virus Situation - Serious Ones Only Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Good Things About This Virus Situation - Serious Ones Only Please

I know this is a serious situation and I hope and pray for a fast resolution: cure and/or vaccine and a quick return to normal life for all, world wide. But there is always a bright side. Looking for a Top Ten list of good things that are or will come out of the current crisis. Here is a start:

1. Not eating out leads to weight loss. With just days into the crisis, I am down about three pounds now. I hope for and actually expect more. I could easily go 30 pounds less and even more. And I don't really miss anything. In fact, I like my own cooking and my wife's: she cooked some garlic shrimp two days ago and we had two days of them - really great. I made a rice dish to go with them. For me, seafood means rice.

2. People are coming together more. Not in the sense of actual, physical distance but we are helping others out more. Heck, just thinking about others is a good thing. I have lost major amounts in my savings, but still feel that I should donate to various charities to help those who's needs are greater and more immediate. And, wonder of wonders, this may even include some politicians - dare I hope?

3. ...

Your turn.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

3. A greater appreciation, and thankfulness for the things we do have..

Comment

Lighter traffic for those of us who have to travel.
      Fred Townroe

Comment

I'm retired. My wife and I normally spend much of our time together. We normally avoid crowds through early or late dining, shopping, etc. There are no upsides so far.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

One upside is that we are become more aware of our fragility- and our strengths. We have become more aware of how the earth sustains us- and how it could, in George Carlins' words, shake us off like a bad case of fleas. We have become more aware of how easily we can make others ill, and how we can largely avoid that by practicing better hygiene. We have been put in a position where we can more easily consider the quality of our lives rather than the quantity.

Someone said I hope we can move forward in a greener and more sustainable way- I hope we can too. Another said that once this passes we will go back to our same old ways like nothing happened. I hope this is not true.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            I'm retired. My wife and I normally spend much of our time together. We normally avoid crowds through early or late dining, shopping, etc. There are no upsides so far.
            Yup same here.
            Although on the upside I do see more folks at home spending time with their kids.That's definitely a plus.
            Also the traffic is much lighter now so the trips into town seem less hectic and much more relaxing. One of the reasons we always do early morning shopping and off peak hour dinning is to avoid crowds. No dinning right now but I can't believe how nice it is to not have to share the roads with 8,000 other people per lane kilometer. Did too much of that in the past to not appreciate this small blessing.
            Social distancing is something I've always tried to adhere to, now that it's law everybody else can enjoy it too. Whether they like it or not.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              Social distancing is something I've always tried to adhere to,
              As I mentioned to one of my less 'social' friends - some adhere to social distancing by choice, others have it thrust upon them by their personalities.

Comment

The collapse of the cruise ship industry. Hopefully too, the end of airlines that cram people together like sardines.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I'm going to go with what metalfixer said - a greater appreciation for what I have. Shakespeare once said, "There is some soul of goodness in all things evil would man observingly distill it out." We take so much for granted. I'm not saying that this virus is a good thing, it certainly isn't, but perhaps some good can come from it if only to make us more aware of all that we heretofore have taken for granted. How few of us would have ever placed such value on a simple and peaceful walk in the park six months ago? Six months ago we were running around like crazy people in the middle of the proverbial Rat Race, and for what? This virus has made me more aware of all of the things I have taken for granted in the past and which I had only given a passing thought to on every Thanksgiving Day. So maybe this is Providence slamming on the brakes since we seem unable to do it ourselves, and forcing us to reevaluate our priorities.

Occasionally the world tests us to determine if we are worthy of our humanity. Those who lived through the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression and the world wars were so tested. They had a choice, to rollover and surrender or to stand up to the challenges imposed upon them and fight. We are the participants in a new chapter of history. How we deport ourselves and how we stand up to this challenge will resonate in history either to our credit or to our disgrace.

Comment

The unhealthy debt fueled economic "boom" is finally over. It was fed by the US going ridiculously deeper in debt during a bull market, corporations also going deeply into debt and using tax cuts to buy back stock, issue dividends, and pump their stock values, and the whole shale fracking industry may have been just a debt fueled Ponzi scheme. This bear was long overdue! Hopefully the recovery will see renewable energy suck a lot of life out of the oil patch and maybe we can build a slightly different economy coming out of it.

Comment

I come up with something new to cook for breakfast every day, and it's vastly cheaper than restaurant breakfasts.

I started keeping track of things like how long a roll of toilet paper or a bottle of mouthwash lasts, which I should have known a long time ago

I walk to the post office just for the fresh air and sunshine.

I bought a pellet rifle and I'm trying to hit the plastic tub lid 60 yards away across the irrigation ditch.. From a rocking chair on the back porch, because I can. The gun can't shoot far enough to get off the property.

Comment

I'm grateful for my wife; it sure would be lonely going through this by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                          Oh, yeah. We've been married 50 years and I don't know what I'd do without her.

And she likes me. Which proves she's a saint...

-js
                          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                            I always am grateful for my beautiful wife regardless of the situation. Unfortunately, she works as a manager at a supermarket and is in contact with hundreds of people each day. Our area outside of NYC is a hotbed for this Wuhan virus now. I would like to stay away from her, but I can't. Otherwise, it is life like normal for me. Lots of work with little time for play.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

I always am grateful for my beautiful wife regardless of the situation. Unfortunately, she works as a manager at a supermarket and is in contact with hundreds of people each day. Our area outside of NYC is a hotbed for this Wuhan virus now. I would like to stay away from her, but I can't. Otherwise, it is life like normal for me. Lots of work with little time for play.
                              I'm about 458 miles west of you, so far there's several confirmed cases in my county. No deaths yet that I know of. BTW are you the same "polaraligned" that I ran across from time to time at NC?

Comment

Working...
                              X