Magnetized grinder dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetized grinder dust

Why is ferrous grinder dust magnetized? I just put together a 6 x 48" belt sander from some old parts off Ebay, a HF tool stand, a 1 HP motor, and a foot pedal. Works a treat, as the Brits say. But after grinding some steel, every other piece of steel within 4 feet is now covered with a fuzzy layer of grinder dust. 1) Why is the dust magnetized (just curious)? 2) is there a practical way to de-magnetize said dust?

I suspect that the stock you were grinding is magnetized.

I've got some mystery scrap metal here that is tough as dog's teeth to machine and is quite hard and durable. But it is mildly magnetized and chips and grinding swarf sticks to it really badly. I bet your raw stock is actully magnitized along the same line.

Otherwise I've got no answer for you as my steel grinding dust doesn't stick to anything and just lays there and dusts away easily. Or rather where it does stick to any vertical surfaces it's more about surface texture and again brushes away easily.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Mount a big magnet in the path of the sparks and that will suck them up.
      It will also kiss the belt with grinder fur and that will discharge static buildup.

Do a before and after test by lighting a propane torch in the vicinity, you will see the metal dust in the air as sparks.

And a bucket of soapy water too as a spark catcher.
      These two things will make your problem go away.
      "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj View Post
        Why is ferrous grinder dust magnetized? other piece of steel within 4 feet is now covered with a fuzzy layer of grinder dust. 1) Why is the dust magnetized (just curious)? 2) is there a practical way to de-magnetize said dust?
        1).Its yer belt

2) is there a practical way to de-magnetize said dust?

Me... Yes.

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
        X