This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K. now in lockdown

Our PM just announced that the U.K. is now in lockdown, you can only go out to get food, or essential employees, about time, I don’t think a lot of people take the situation seriously at all,
    mark

The leadership in my country seems more concerned with the economy. My family is hunkered down and conserving as best we can. We are all fortunate to have jobs we can work from home.
    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Keep safe Mark!

In lock down as well as of Tuesday. Working in the home shop when I can - kids keep me busy!
      www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

For the umpty-leventh time, you guys should put your locations in your profile. (Not you Mark)

You guys ashamed of where you live?

Sorry! Stoopid mistake

Milton in Collierville, TN ya'll.
        Last edited by DICKEYBIRD; 03-23-2020, 08:17 PM.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
          For the umpty-leventh time, you guys should put your locations in your profile. (Not you Mark)

You guys ashamed of where you live?
          Since location info doesn't show up with the new forum software, how about putting it in your sig line? (Yes, you too, Milton.)

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

And how long can the world be locked down, most of the first world is, before the whole world economy is destroyed. The economists are all ready predicting a depression worse the the 30's because of this and how many people died because of that. The secondary death toll could be way worse then that caused by the virus.It isn't going to go away so at some point everyone is going to go back to the real world, the virus will bloom again, we will have to live with the virus and and the fallout from it so this containment will all be for nothing. Hope we can find enough TP to last.
            Last edited by loose nut; 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Loose Nut - the point of lockdown is to reduce the *increase* in cases to a point where the health services aren't completely overwhelmed - there just aren't enough intensive care beds or ventilators if it rips through the population at the current rate of growth, unless we accept *millions* of deaths in each of the "developed" countries.
              With a bit of luck, it'll be the end of the capital greedism we've all suffered for the last 40 years?

Dave H. (the other one)
              Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Here in Canada I first thought that we might be going overboard. But in reality I think they are doing what is needed. Case and fatality numbers are growing here too. But very slowly by comparison with other countries. I feel that the federal and provincial levels are doing what is prudent.... If only the common folks would not go nuts with trying to buy and hoard everything they can. If there's a crisis it'll be those people that cause it.

Yes, this is going to end up costing every country in the world big time. But I'll bet it's no worse than the costs committed for fighting the last world war.

News about vaccine work is looking quite positive. It'll still be a few months of being careful but at least once a vaccine is developed and distributed we can get back more to normal. Or as normal as this situation allows us to restore.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post
                  Loose Nut - the point of lockdown is to reduce the *increase* in cases to a point where the health services aren't completely overwhelmed - there just aren't enough intensive care beds or ventilators if it rips through the population at the current rate of growth, unless we accept *millions* of deaths in each of the "developed" countries.
                  With a bit of luck, it'll be the end of the capital greedism we've all suffered for the last 40 years?

Dave H. (the other one)
                  Crazy thing is that it might take year if they manage to "throttle" this epidemic to level sustainable to healthcare.

Comment

Capital Greedism is less of a problem when faced with the "Common" locusts in the supermarkets. Just shows how S**T people are, NO excuses.

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Don't know whether I have a sixth sense or just an understanding of epidemiology, but I was stocking up in January - not stripping the shelves, but buying a few extra tins and bags of flour / rice etc. - perhaps it's reading a lot of apocalyptic sci-fi as a kid (when the other kids were reading "See Spot run, good dog Spot" I was reading Earth Abides - great book!).

For those wanting a worst-case scenario, I can recommend the BBC series "Survivors" from 1975 - strangely prescient! On Youtube, but several series and could keep you occupied for a few isolated evenings

Dave H. (the other one)
                      Last edited by Hopefuldave; 03-24-2020, 06:56 AM.
                      Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Dave, and after that movie you can continue with ”threads”, British movie about worldwide thermonuclear war. Since 2020 has been constant downhill I assume by april US has retaliated the virus to China with worldwide nuclear war...

Probably most depressing movie I have seen so apply with caution :/

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefuldave View Post

Dave H. (the other one)
                          I understand that quite well but it just won't work This disease isn't going away and a some point people are going to go back the "real" world, whether the governments approve it or not and it will just come back. The best this lock up can do is slow it down but it isn't going to make it disappear. We can't stay locked up forever.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                            Dave, and after that movie you can continue with ”threads”, British movie about worldwide thermonuclear war. Since 2020 has been constant downhill I assume by april US has retaliated the virus to China with worldwide nuclear war...

Probably most depressing movie I have seen so apply with caution :/
                            Since corona, SARS, bird flu and MESA virus's, most of the serious epidemics that have hit the world over the last 20 years, all came from China maybe the world should nuc China to save the rest of us. It is doubtful China will clean up its act, or it's streets.

Comment

Everyone will get it eventually. Yes maybe slow it down and give some time and room in hospitals but at what cost? The economy is done. Just get back to work, let people get sick, whoever dies dies, lives lives, get on with life!
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X