What grease mill back gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grease mill back gear

Back gear, Frejoth J-Head clone, what kind of grease should I use to repack the thing?

The Bridgeport J-head (Series I) doesn't use grease. It uses oil. The oil also gets "distributed" to the back gears and down feed gears as well as the spindle. If your J-head isn't dripping oil, it's running dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oiler.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	1863965
    Last edited by CCWKen; 03-25-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Mine is packed in grease.

Comment

Mine was exactly the same, the manual even states grease packed.right or wrong I used some white calcium grease when re assembling. (Same as lubriplate)

Comment

The back gear bearing is sealed. Grease won't help it. All the grease does is block the oil from the gear and the shaft. The top oiler has a tube that extends over the bull gear. When the bull gear spins, it slings the oil to the back gear and into the housing. This sling is what lubes the down feed gears via gravity. What are you putting into the oilers? Grease or oil?

This photo shows the top of the bull gear housing and oiler. (Ignore the tachometer pickup.) That little hole at the top of the oiler hump, towards the center, insures the oil in the tube empties and ends up on top of the bull gear. I simply replaced my oilers with tube feeds as in the first photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull Gear Sensor-2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1864070

Comment

I use heavyweight 140w gear oil for all open gears.

Comment

It's not the gearbox in an F1 car. I'd have thought any lubricant that stays on the gear teeth would be fine - plain old EP2 grease is as good as any.

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Working...
              X