Work holding comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work holding comparisons

Some discussion has popped up on the homemade tools thread and I thought I would try and move it to a more "mainstream" area and not plug that thread up uneceunnecessarily. Maybe between the great minds of this forum we can build a better mouse trap so-to-speak
    If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

...... Well, I right properly buggered that up... Going to go to work on setting up a green house and will try and sort this mess out in a bit...... Wait a minute.... The house we live in is green, I wonder if that logic will work with the wife?.….…

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

Comment

What did you bugger up? I see the pictures and it covers your point from the other thread.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Didn't look the same after I posted it from my phone as it did when I typed it.... Maybe it will look different from the computer.... I found the missing text, I just had to click on the pictures. The test subject is the abused remains of a 10k that came out of a school that I have been breathing new life into....
        I think I can open up the taper a little bit more and set the collet back maybe as much as a half inch, maybe a little more if I allow the collet to protrude from the taper a little at the small end and into the spindle nose a bit. Wasn't sure that that would be a good idea or not, and since I hadn't buggered the whole thing up yet, I figured I'd stop where I was.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_105900.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1864154
        The one picture I left out was the 59b headstock chuck, which is actually longer when working in the smaller range than any of the other options.

Lillooet
        British Columbia
        Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by 140mower View Post
          Didn't look the same after I posted it from my phone as it did when I typed it.... Maybe it will look different from the computer.... I found the missing text, I just had to click on the pictures. The test subject is the abused remains of a 10k that came out of a school that I have been breathing new life into....
          I think I can open up the taper a little bit more and set the collet back maybe as much as a half inch, maybe a little more if I allow the collet to protrude from the taper a little at the small end and into the spindle nose a bit. Wasn't sure that that would be a good idea or not, and since I hadn't buggered the whole thing up yet, I figured I'd stop where I was.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_105900.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	1864154
          The one picture I left out was the 59b headstock chuck, which is actually longer when working in the smaller range than any of the other options.
          I saw your collet chuck and the first thing that came to mind was " that could be about 1/2" shorter". Great minds think in similar circles.

Comment

I'd say something like up to perhaps 0.1" of extension out the back for the collet would not be all that bad. But on a collet that is only 1.5'ish long you don't really want to have a half inch hanging out the back not supported. The segments will flex differently through the middle of the collet than they do at the ends due to the ends of the slits being half on one end and half on the other. A half inch of the rear hanging out the back and into the nose taper would not compress correctly and the segments would flex through the middle. That's likely to affect both the holding power as well as possibly the centering.

So to my eyes it's fine as it is. What you'd gain by reducing the overhang, normally a fine goal, would be likely to mess up the collet holding to a far worse degree.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

If you're worried about flexibility, then look in the direction of the toolpost first.

Comment

Working...
              X