Annealing mystery metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    No the part was junked last week. This was just curiosity from an aha-moment I had.
    So..... has the bin been emptied yet? Time for a bit of dumpster diving?
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

you would have to keep the current flowing for a while but i guess the annealed area would be too shallow for threading and 250 amps is not enough anyway.
      Are you sure about that? We are not talking about melting the steel. We only want to heat it. I used a TIG torch set real low (15 to 20 amps) and heated a 1/4 inch wide area on a 1" x 3/16 inch CRS bar to red hot in a very short period of time. I wanted to heat it for a nice bend. It bent perfectly straight to a 90 degree angle with very little radius. I imagine low input for long enough will get the metal pretty hot.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

not sure at all, somebody should try it. but you had a 3/16 diameter bar 1" long? thats tiny compared to the tool holder. i have been thinking, if you look at the welding cable 250 amps go through without heating it up (yes, i know its copper) and at the holder, well i have my doubts.

Comment

Working...
        X