Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for inch-sized angular contact bearings.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for inch-sized angular contact bearings.

    I'm looking for some inspiration here, I have a surface grinder circa. 1970 that uses a pair of angular contact spindle bearings but they are inch sized and long since out of production. I thought I had struck gold when someone came up with some NOS bearings of the right dimensions but they turned out to be regular ball bearings not angular contact.

    Here's the size I am looking for:

    ID 1"
    OD 2.5"
    Width 0.750"

    They are grouped as an opposed pair on the front of my surface grinder spindle. I just re-built the machine and was getting bad fish-scaling on the finish plus I could visibly see a harmonic in the clamping nut when running so I added some pre-load using very thin shim between the bearing outer races and the finish has improved a lot (though the bearings are now understandably running warm) but it's proven to me that the races are just worn out.

    So now I'm looking at 3 possible options (feel free to suggest other options, any input welcome):

    1. Find some replacements of the above sizes
    2. Pre-load the new regular bearings I have and see if they'll work as spindle bearings.
    3. Make sleeves to utilise modern spindle bearings on the original housing and spindle.

    I like option 2 the least as I think it'll be very hit-and-miss to set up and prone to rapid wear. Also, they are the exact size replacement for the floating rear bearing so if I use them for the front pair I'll still have a 50yr old bearing on the rear.
    Option 3 I'm not over-enamoured with either but I see it as the best solution if the originals can't be found.

    Any suggestions most welcome.

    Cheers
    Pete.

    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

    Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

  • #2
    7206 at 1.18" X 2.44" X0.629" seems like a relatively painless fix if you go with sleeves and spacers. Perhaps combined sleeve and spacer could be used for both spindle and housing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Cameron,

      Yes 7206 or 3206 are what I'm looking at. The bonus is that I can buy cheap bearings for fitting it up and replace with precision ones once I'm satisfied.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

      Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

      Comment


      • #4
        In the UK, this firm is open for orders over the web, they sell both metric and imperial bearings.
        https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Pr...514/index.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Not sure if tapered roller bearings would suffice - like these: https://www.bearingscanada.com/15100...0-s-15250x.htm

          I guess the way the existing bearings are preloaded would be a factor.

          Geoff

          Comment


          • #6
            You might find something here-

            http://www.consbrgs.com/search.html
            I just need one more tool,just one!

            Comment


            • #7
              I think I'd be inclined toward the sleeves as well, but I don't like how thin they are with a 7206...a 71906, 71807 or 71907 would all fit and have a small profile letting you have a little more solid sleeve. Might be a better choice.

              The other thing is what class do you want and whats readily available. P4's for example are readily available as AC's but can be more of a hunt in other formats, i.e. deep groove. At least that's what I found is the case if you're shopping at the major firms like SKF. Barden or others might have more, but they're not around the corner and can be very expensive
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

              Comment


              • #8
                in any case check out ebay, aliexpress etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  In the UK, this firm is open for orders over the web, they sell both metric and imperial bearings.
                  https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Pr...514/index.html
                  Thanks Mart but these sizes are long out of production

                  Originally posted by ammcoman2 View Post
                  Not sure if tapered roller bearings would suffice - like these: https://www.bearingscanada.com/15100...0-s-15250x.htm

                  I guess the way the existing bearings are preloaded would be a factor.

                  Geoff
                  Thanks Geoff. Quite unusually, the originals are pre-loaded by the wheel clamp nut, so you wouldn't want to run the machine without a wheel fitted. I'm not sure that a taper bearing will have the necessary precision and the width being greater means the bearing cap would need modifying. Thanks for the link though.

                  Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  You might find something here-

                  http://www.consbrgs.com/search.html
                  Cheers for that link Weirdscience. I tried all manner of combinations of sizes but drew a blank.

                  Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  I think I'd be inclined toward the sleeves as well, but I don't like how thin they are with a 7206...a 71906, 71807 or 71907 would all fit and have a small profile letting you have a little more solid sleeve. Might be a better choice.

                  The other thing is what class do you want and whats readily available. P4's for example are readily available as AC's but can be more of a hunt in other formats, i.e. deep groove. At least that's what I found is the case if you're shopping at the major firms like SKF. Barden or others might have more, but they're not around the corner and can be very expensive
                  P4 should be fine. TBH the originals are so worn they still run with full pre-load and a 0.0015" shim between the outer races so even a trailer wheel bearing should be an improvement

                  I'll check out those other sizes see what's available. Thanks.

                  Originally posted by dian View Post
                  in any case check out ebay, aliexpress etc.
                  Trust me I'm scouring ebay. Won't be getting anything from Aliexpress for a spindle bearing I'd rather hold out for a NOS quality unit.

                  Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate it.
                  Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

                  Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                  Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                  Monarch 10EE 1942

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can highly recommend this outfit:

                    http://www.buffalobearings.com/

                    They have a way of being able to find all the unicorns and oddballs, among other things... nice selection in stock and they've been around serving local industry for quite a while. Very knowledgeable crew.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is this anything?
                      https://shop.eriks.be/en/bearings-ba...jt1m-13009840/
                      Len

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        I can highly recommend this outfit:

                        http://www.buffalobearings.com/

                        They have a way of being able to find all the unicorns and oddballs, among other things... nice selection in stock and they've been around serving local industry for quite a while. Very knowledgeable crew.
                        Thanks, I have sent them an email.

                        Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                        That looks very promising. I will contact them and see what the precision rating is (and if they have a pair). Thanks.
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

                        Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You could also try Ransome and Marles as they have good sources for imperial stuff. https://ransomeandmarles.co.uk/ Be sitting down when they quote you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "Won't be getting anything from Aliexpress for a spindle bearing I'd rather hold out for a NOS quality unit."

                            you might be wrong there. they have good deals on high quality bearings from time to time. i got some p3 bearings a while ago.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dian View Post
                              . i got some p3 bearings a while ago.
                              How would you know?
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X