Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for inch-sized angular contact bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

know what? if they were to p3 standarts? of course i cant measure it, but if the bearing is from a big chinese manufacturer, looks flawless, is well marked and originally packed im led to believe its genuine. if you want to suppose they are rejects then you have to exclude all online sources, go to your dealer and pay $1000 for the pair. the same with any "surplus stores" and discounted products in general.

Comment

Just like ABEC 9 skate bearings? No, my view (in part arrived at from direct personal experiencing manufacturing there) is that manufactures information provided on quality and ratings are driven what the market asks for not the actual quality. Its a business culture thing. Maybe some are better than others but that issue is why the world pays more for quality brands. I would consider Chinese bearings of unknown quality, possibly suitable for less critical applications, but risky for a grinder spindle. That is changing as they buy into branding, but I don't think its there yet to the point of trusting claims of quality.

I'll say no more, shouldn't have taken Peter's thread off topic
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

on a side note, do you know where the skate bearing confusion came from? a company called themselves "abec 9" and sold the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
          on a side note, do you know where the skate bearing confusion came from? a company called themselves "abec 9" and sold the bearings.
          It lies and deception. My penny board bearings claim to be Abec 7. My ass they are. They've gotten rusty and been cleaned up and put back to work a few times now, lots of wear and wobble in each. Still works fine because it doesn't matter. Just an obnoxious method to sell them to the kids.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Just to wrap this up I ended up using a pair of 7206 bearings as suggested by Cameron. I did find several sources of original sized bearings but none were any sort of precision in fact they were all NOS wheel bearings for old British cars.

So I purchased some NSK 7206 angular contacts and made an adapter sleeve to house them. I made the bearings a sliding fit in the sleeve and the sleeve a light press fit in the housing. Wall thickness is .030"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eagle new bearing sleeve.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	1867721

After that I made another sleeve for the spindle with 1" press fit bore and 30mm sliding fit OD (no picture of that I'm afraid). Both sleeves have a 6.1mm lip on the back side to make up the thickness difference between the 16mm and 3/4" width bearings.

I threw the lot together and dressed a wheel for a test cut. I think the difference is very plain to see, the near-side finish is with the old bearings all full of fish scales.

Click image for larger version  Name:	eagle new bearings test.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	1867722

Overall, I'm very pleased!
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Very nice improvement!
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Wow. Way to go! I would have been afraid to try a 030 wall thickness. Looks like it worked great!
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

nice work Peter
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                  X