No announcement yet.

Need a homemade hand sanitizer recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

take one ounce of water and dump it into a gallon of gasoline shake it up and you get 10 oz of 90% ethanol.

plus a few hundred parts per million of God knows what i don't want to know, but it probably causes cancer and kills viruses.

now go mix it with some glycerin and aloe vera.

Comment

This new Chit! SOAP. JR

Comment

Try pine sap as per:

A public discussion forum on wilderness surivival, primitive technology, and disaster preparedness.

Comment

I can't find any everclear around here. I ordered some hand sanitizer from Amazon with an expected delivery of yesterday and just found out I have to wait another month. Lysol is still my best option right now considering I'm trying to do the most responsible thing for my family. But the Lysol if getting old. I'm really getting sick of it.
          -Roland
          Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
            I can't find any everclear around here.
            Roland, in the 57 years I've lived (and bought booze) in California I've never once seen everclear in a store.

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I finally scored the three ingredients to make the formulation #2 recommended by WHO (World Health Organization) https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_...Production.pdf The recipe is for ten liters, so divided by 10 to make one liter.

750 cc isopropyl alcohol (99.9%)
              42 cc hydrogen peroxide (3%) obtained at supermarket pharmacy
              16 cc glycerin (98%) obtained at CVS Pharmacy

add water to make 1000 cc

Actually, I could only find isopropyl alcohol (91%). So instead of 750 cc I used 824 cc. I was fortunate to find the last two 500 cc spray bottles at CVS.

Soap and water remain the best protection. The spray sanitizer is for when I am away from home, shopping, etc.
              Last edited by aostling; 04-04-2020, 10:36 PM.
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Roland, in the 57 years I've lived (and bought booze) in California I've never once seen everclear in a store.

-js
                Well here is some Clear,, JR

Comment

Lidl Portugal had a video on it

Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Long time lurker...

The WHO recipe is here, and likely the most trustworthy of what’s floating around Social Media: https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_...Production.pdf

As of yesterday afternoon, McMaster still had gallon cans of 99% isopropyl ($41), 99% glycerol ($8), and 1oz flip-top plastic bottles ($6 per 3 pack). Local pharmacy should have quart bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide ($2.25).

Those should work out to ~4 liters of sanitizing gel, per the recipe in the link. Will know later this week, once everything arrives.
                    Last edited by AWS; 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Just now I placed an order with McMaster for a gallon of isopropyl and a 100-pack of isopropyl wipes. The wipes will take 6-8 weeks, but - if I read the page right - I'll get the gallon on 4/13. We shall see.

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

...we shall see. Well, turns out that McMaster can't ship the gallon of isopropyl to California - VOC regulations (which, BTW, I'm firmly in favor of). So I changed my order to 70% instead of 99% in 16 oz. bottles, which seem to be OK. So far. Must be the 99% that's a problem with VOCs.

Lessee: 16 oz. is a pint. Two pints to a quart. Four quarts to a gallon. So 8 bottles make a gallon. The minimum order on that item is 12 bottles. OK, 12 it is. I've ordered 1-1/2 gallons now. No problem, it's not expensive and I expect I can give a few bottles away to friends.

And this order is promised for day after tomorrow.

We shall see...

-js
                        Last edited by Jim Stewart; 04-06-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

so... with 70% no room for the rest of the ingredients unless you can concentrate the Alcohol?

Comment

Uh, don't follow you...

-js

Comment

My 99% glycerol arrived today from NJ, as expected. The 99% isopropyl didn’t make it to UPS in Atlanta yesterday for some reason, so didn’t arrive. I called to make sure they actually have it, and they confirmed it will be here tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                                Uh, don't follow you...

-js
                                I suspect he’s pointing out that the final product with the WHO recipe is 75% isopropyl by volume, which you’re not going to get if starting out with 70% isopropyl by volume and then diluting it further.

Comment

Working...
                                X