Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a homemade hand sanitizer recipe

Greetings all,
    I cannot find the two main ingredients locally I need to make hand sanitizer. (Glycerin or aloe vera) and (rubbing alcohol). I’m out of store bought sanitizer and have been using Lysol. I’m getting tired of smelling like Lysol. Anyone have a solution to share?
    Thanks,
    Roland
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Everclear and one of the many bottles of the wife' s moisturising hand lotion. Or buy the lotion at the store. You'll smell so sweet. lol

Don't even need to mix. Dilute the everclear a bit, use it then apply moisturiser after. i.e. two bottles

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
      Everclear and one of the many bottles of the wife' s moisturising hand lotion. Or buy the lotion at the store. You'll smell so sweet. lol

Don't even need to mix. Dilute the everclear a bit, use it then apply moisturiser after. i.e. two bottles
      The Everclear needs to be 151 proof or higher.

Roland, where are you located? If you don't mind buying it a gallon at a time, I can get you some commercially made hand sanitizer. Shoot me a PM if you're still in need.

Actually, I can even get you a 250 gallon tote, drop shipped to your house for free but it costs $5700 Fill up some tiny bottles and sell it on Amazon ... dunno maybe you'd turn a profit
      Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-30-2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Apparently 70% is the sweet spot for sterilisation, there is absolutely no iso, hand cleaner ever clear or anything else available over here, I had a couple of litres of propanol on a shelf in the shop I brought home from work before I retired, kind of glad now, you can wash masks with it as there’s no glue in them only welds, it evaporates in a few hours so no smell,
        mark

Comment

I've found several recipes online, the simplest being just bleach and water. The only downside to the bleach is that it can mess with your skin if used often. I use it for sanitizing things I come into contact with after I return home like doorknobs. The strategy I use is to wear those plastic gloves sold at Harbor Freight. I didn't have any but early in the game I went to HF and they had a lot of them so I bought a box of 100. When I get home and after I've put away whatever I brought home I take them off in the garage and do not even bring them inside. Supposedly after three days any virus on them will be dead though I never reuse them. I keep them on while sanitizing the doorknobs etc. with the bleach water. I have a bottle of 70% alcohol and after removing the gloves and washing thoroughly with soap I use about a bottle cap of it on my hands as a final rinse. I do not plan on going out again for at least two weeks and at that rate the gloves and alcohol should last quite awhile.

ALSO: 1) I do not bring mail in to the house. I open it in the garage and leave it there for three days unless it is something which must be dealt with immediately. So far I haven't had anything that had to be dealt with at once. When I come in from checking mail I wash my hands thoroughly. 2) I had cash at home which had not been touched for at least six months before all this started. I use this cash for purchases and put all change (while still wearing gloves) into a designated drawer on my desk and do not touch it for three weeks. 3) All non-perishable groceries and other things that I bring home I put on the floor of the laundry room and do not touch for at least two weeks. I throw all plastic bags and boxes away immediately. Food which needs to be refrigerated I put on a separate shelf in the fridge after washing off with soapy water (if practical - like plastic milk containers.) and do not use for at least a week. 4) When purchasing anything I always get stuff from the below the top layer of the stack. In theory these things have been protected from contamination by the stuff which was on top and were only touched by the person who stacked the shelf. [EDIT] One more .... 5) I leave my coat and hat in the garage when I come home and do not use it again for at least three days. I use another coat and hat if I need to go out before then.

I'd appreciate any other tips you may have thought of.
          Last edited by DATo; 03-30-2020, 03:14 AM.

Comment

We have Aloe Vera grow wild in our garden. It is an incredibly potent natural healer for burns and cuts.
            Break a 1/2 inch piece off and rub the flesh direct on your wound.
            Absolutely wondrous plant.

Comment

why rubbing alcohol? use ethanol.

Comment

Why the odsession with alchohol, experts say liquid soap used properly is the best method.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  Why the odsession with alchohol, experts say liquid soap used properly is the best method.
                  We covered this in the thread I started about denatured. Most of us do not have a sink in the car. I want to sanitize my hands before I even touch the car door.

Comment

HEET in the red bottle is 100% isopropyl alcohol!

Comment

Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
                      HEET in the red bottle is 100% isopropyl alcohol!
                      Nope, it's 98.5%, but it's 1.5% "we ain't gonna tell, but it's nasty". https://www.imperialsupplies.com/sds...055120_SDS.pdf

But it's probably just as safe or safer than using 50-50 meth-iso denatured.

Comment

The real tragedy here is that it is still illegal for Americans to distil their own alcohol.

But consider the progress we have had. It was President Jimmy Carter who signed the law removing federal prohibition era taxes on home brewing. That was a huge deal.

In my state you can buy booze in the grocery store. Just put it in your cart. Though you cannot buy the high proof Everclear - just the weak stuff. It is always shocking to me when I visit states where you can only buy 'spirits' at a state run liquor store, with very limited hours. After spending time in Canada, entering Alaska, or the lower 48, was always a huge wave of freedom. Canada is funny about how they treat beer. I guess they don't think people can handle buying it at the grocery store. You'd hardly know it from the friendly disposition of most Canadians, but apparently something happens when the freedom flows too freely (except for Maple Syrup).

Even though I don't drink much, or often, I think we should be able to distil our own booze. Whether for drinkin', sanitizin', or both. Especially where I am - there are huge quantities of fruit that get left on the ground to rot.

Comment

we have a lot of small local distilleries. They are making hand sanitizer (as well as vodka etc) and the one closest to me (Duvall Wa) is giving it away for free.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 03-31-2020, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I had a box of disposable gloves in the shop and my wife had one or two in the house. And I was able to order more just last night on Amazon. Here is what I do when I go out shopping.

I park and while still in the vehicle, I put on a pair of the rubber gloves. I do my shopping with them on. Then I open the back of the truck or the hatch on the SUV and load up my purchases. I close the back and take the gloves off as I return the shopping cart to the designated areas. The gloves come off and are disposed in the trash cans that most stores have there. If not, they go in a plastic bag on the floor of the vehicle. Then I open the driver's door and drive off.

Here's another tip. While shopping it is not possible to completely avoid being near other shoppers. I try to take a slightly deeper breath when someone is approaching and do not inhale until I am at least 6 feet/2 meters past them. Even at 76 I can do this with no real breathing difficulty or external sign that I am even doing it. I haven't even looked for masks yet because I would feel guilty having even one when the doctors and other health care workers need them so badly.

And yes, hand sanitizers and alcohol are almost impossible to find here. One thing that I did notice was that Walmart seems to be restocking the shelves better than the local grocers. On my last trip there, in the afternoon, I was able to get both toilet paper and two types of wipes.

PS: I don't know about in your area, but the Walmart here had very few customers. And the store crew was working full blast at restocking.

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

We covered this in the thread I started about denatured. Most of us do not have a sink in the car. I want to sanitize my hands before I even touch the car door.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post

ALSO: 1) I do not bring mail in to the house.
                              Better safe than sorry, of course, but that may be overreacting. If you are not in a coronavirus hot spot this link may allow you to relax some of your procedures:

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X