Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Build a Vibrator...

No, not that kind of vibrator.

My sandblasting cabinet has an air powered vibratory screen as part of the reclaimer. I need to replace it.

The whole cabinet was in pretty rough shape when I got it and turned out to be missing many pieces (after purchasing, I found a tag that read: "this unit reserved for welding and brazing only", suggesting it was being used as an inert atmosphere for welding instead of as a sandblaster!). I've managed to replace nearly all the missing components but the vibrator that bolts to the screen had destroyed itself and the air had been disconnected.

I believe this was the original vibrator but most of the markings have long since been worn away:
    https://www.amazon.com/BBS-130-Pneum...606097&sr=8-12

Apart from the cost of off-the-shelf vibrators, I'm concerned about the air consumption. My compressor is already borderline too small to run the blast gun. I don't really want to "sacrifice" another 5-6 CFM running the vibrator. So I thought an electric vibrator was in order.

Unfortunately, all the off-the-shelf electric ones are either way too big or ... erm ... not meant for industrial applications. So the questions for the folks here:

1) Do you have a source for reasonably priced *industrial* vibrators that could be easily adapted to take the place of the above vibrator?

OR

2) Do you have any experience making your own small vibrators? What do you suggest for the electric motor? I'm thinking I could just get a small DC motor and mount a weight to it. But it has to be a big enough motor and big enough weight to provide the necessary vibrations. Haven't quite figured that part out.

Can you come up with a design using a small motor and an offset weight.
    Does does it need to be enclosed or can it be mounted outside of the cabinet?
    I'm thinking maybe like using an old orbital sander.

JL.....

Comment

Place I worked at had a dozen of them, used for sifting the product through screens. All were based on a 3 HP motor with offset weights and extra long (2 inches) shaft bearings. The weights looked like a pie slice with the small pointed end fastened on the motor shaft. In most cases, the motor with its offset weights (up to a kilo) were face mounted on a plate which was suspended on compression springs around its perimeter. A hopper and screen was affixed to this plate, with the motor and weights underneath. Often they would run for an entire shift unattended, and the (very expensive) motors would last years with only a shot of grease on New Years. The motors were in a special totally enclosed explosion proof housing with very heavy duty construction. They didn't even get warm.

The smallest model is 18" dia and IIRC goes for just under a grand.

Here's a link for ideas, these are the same ones we used: https://midwesternind.com/mr_separator_sifter/

Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 03-30-2020, 08:01 PM.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Hmm... the orbital sander idea is interesting. It does have to be fully enclosed, though. The vibrator mounts under the center of the screen and will be in the path of falling abrasive media. Perhaps not the best design... but it would take a lot of modification to vibrate the screen "remotely"

Comment

Or one of these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ougar+air+vibe

Comment

It would be good to know what frequency is best for your cabinet. If 30 hz would work, then consider using a 1/4 horse motor that's 1750 rpm. Mount the motor vertically (hopefully it can work like that- ball bearing motor possibly) and use a flexible coupling to extent the shaft. The top of this shaft is at a height where you can mount a bearing to a convenient point on the cabinet- or whatever you are wanting to vibrate. The shaft would come through the bearing just up enough that you can attach an eccentric weight to it. The whole motor itself doesn't have to vibrate. Using a low power ac motor gets you around having to use a separate dc power supply, and you don't have to worry about contaminated brushes, etc.

You might use an old fan motor, the 3 speed ones. That would give you some flexibility, and I'm guessing that the power would be enough. Make sure that it would remain cool enough, as it will be missing the airflow created by the fan that it normally drives.

Another idea would be to use a pushrod and a small offset on the motor shaft. If you knew the amplitude of the vibration that works best for the cabinet, you can figure out the offset required to more efficiently transfer the energy. Of course without knowing the response curves of the cabinet, you won't know where the sweet spot is. Using a speed controlled motor you at least have the option of changing the frequency and finding a 'good' point. Which probably brings us back to the dc motor.

Another idea- an electromagnet can be used to cause a steel panel to vibrate. This can be made from a transformer, or you could use one of those bolt-on transducer modules. Drive it with a variable frequency and just dial it in.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

1. Bolt a pad sander to it. Gentle.

2. Put an eccentric cam on the shaft of a small electric motor and bolt the motor to it. Violent.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

They're simple to make. Even my watch has one.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  Can you come up with a design using a small motor and an offset weight.
                  Does does it need to be enclosed or can it be mounted outside of the cabinet?
                  I'm thinking maybe like using an old orbital sander.

JL.....
                  4" angle grinders are cheap, just make an out of balance steel disk.

Comment

This is the motor on a sandblast cabinet I have - Fasco Model D1130. It is only 3" long by 3.'" diameter. If you need a picture of the bracket let me know. It does not have an external shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D1130__56898_1435077759.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1865252

Comment

I made one of these for a casting project onetime. Scaled it up to use a 1" ball for the weight-

https://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/air-vib/air-vib.htm

It shouldn't be running continuously right? So if it consumes a little air now an again no biggie.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

"This is the motor on a sandblast cabinet I have - Fasco Model D1130. It is only 3" long by 3.'" diameter. If you need a picture of the bracket let me know. It does not have an external shaft."

Now that's interesting, I guess they just have an out of balance rotor?
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Okay, since youre the one who brought it up, why not use one of the actual, adult function vibrators? They make corded models that put out a fair bit of vibration, seems like $20 and change would be a lot easier than trying to cobble something together:
                          https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Hand...sr=8-4&x=0&y=0

Comment

Worlds cheapest cheapskate idea: find a generic, general purpose electric motor, say 1/2 HP. Hopefully you have a few inches of shaft (she said). Take torch and put a decent bend in the shaft, say 30 deg, just outside of the bearing end. Et Voila!! Instant vibrator, just bolt it onto your equipment (ahem...)
                            ...OK, cough again, please.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I don't know how much power you need, but I have one of these vibrator/massagers from Sears, about 50 years old that I'd call very powerful. The vibration frequency might be a little fast for your purposes though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sea...6010de4bc8944e

Last edited by lynnl; 03-30-2020, 09:32 PM.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X