Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmm03
    replied
    programming in the cannon effects from the 1812 overture should do it...

Leave a comment:

• strokersix
    replied
    Can you do something with a big woofer and a tone generator? Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• jmm03
    replied
    Fastrack, we have a pressure feed Kelco unit at work that uses one of the pneumatic shaker units I referred to . It is attached to a rod that shakes a series of 6 filter bags hung on springs. Used only when needed,it just has an on off ball valve on it. It is about as simple as it gets and pretty durable. Jim (the one I used was the 5807K69 if I remember correctly)
    Last edited by jmm03; 03-31-2020, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    Sand and salt spreader vibrators; https://www.google.com/search?q=sand...w=1280&bih=595

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    i use the motor i removed from a leaking compressor. discard the piston and the counterweight will vibrate the hell out of anything.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Its your basic shake out table or screen. We've made them for aggregate, sand cast foundries, coal etc as well as made lots of vibratory conveyors. There's some engineering that goes into it, power, speed, size and offset of the counterweight (doesn't have to be much) but the cheapo diy approach would be a small three phase motor, cheap Chinese VFD. I can ask the Engineers but my sense you want a much slower speed for a shakeout table than the motor's rpm. Mount the screen with motor on springs. Play with the speed and maybe different eccentric weights. If space is a real problem, do like a lot of vibratory conveyors, mount the motor on the frame and belt it to a eccentric on a jack shaft attached to the 'live' screen.

Cheap if you have the bits and pieces laying about, not so much so if you're calling Eurodrive

Leave a comment:

• Ridgerunner
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    "This is the motor on a sandblast cabinet I have - Fasco Model D1130. It is only 3" long by 3.'" diameter. If you need a picture of the bracket let me know. It does not have an external shaft."

Now that's interesting, I guess they just have an out of balance rotor?
    Here is a look inside the motor..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Virbatory motor showing weight.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1865356

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
    That's where I started but the electric ones that are in the same class (in terms of lbs. and vpm) as the air powered ones are very expensive - like $600 expensive.

As I think about this more, the real problem is that I'm not 100% sure what is actually needed to make this work properly. I feel like I've already wrung a bunch of information out of the company, I feel bad trying to get them to give me more details on the design of the vibrating screen.
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-30-2020, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

It shouldn't be running continuously right? So if it consumes a little air now an again no biggie.
    This one runs continuously. The original vibrator may have been a ball vibrator, actually, but the turbine ones are supposed to be quieter (don't care) and consume less air for the same level of vibrational energy (care very much!).

But I was thinking about making it intermittent. Making something vibrate is pretty easy, I get that, but figuring out the optimum frequency and force required for this reclaimer to work properly is, potentially, a little more complicated. Being electrically inclined, it occurred to me that the easiest solution for me would be to put in an exact replacement but have it operate only when the blast gun isn't blasting or every 30 seconds, whichever is more often. Or something like that. I could do it with an air solenoid and a 555 timer easy enough.

For everyone else scratching their head about why I'm making this so complicated, the cabinet is a bit different than what I think of as the "typical" sand blasting cabinet. With no media in it, it weighs 1200 lbs. It's a "true" downdraft cabinet where the grit is vacuumed from the bottom of the cabinet up to a set of cyclones before dropping onto a metal screen with the vibrator and then down to a hopper with ceramic sieve and low pressure reverse air flow. The low pressure reverse air flow lofts the grit and turns it into a pseudo-liquid to make it easier to draw out of the hopper and back to the cabinet. The vibrating screen in question is burried inside this stack of cyclones and is on rubber mounts, so shaking the outside won't do anything. Putting the vibrator inside means exposing it to a stream of grit.

Thanks for the ideas so far, though. Still muddling things over in my mind but it helps to have a sounding board. The concrete vibrator is an interesting idea ... maybe I could modify things to poke the business end through the hopper stack and into the screen area while keeping the electric part out of the grit.

Leave a comment:

• jmm03
    replied
    or one from here: https://www.mcmaster.com/vibrators

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Random food for thought:

How about the type of vibrators used for settling concrete? Overkill perhaps, but you could mount the motor remotely and if it were this style with a universal motor, even slow it down to whatever speed made it the most effective:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qu...tor-34923.html

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I don't know how much power you need, but I have one of these vibrator/massagers from Sears, about 50 years old that I'd call very powerful. The vibration frequency might be a little fast for your purposes though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sea...6010de4bc8944e

Last edited by lynnl; 03-30-2020, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Worlds cheapest cheapskate idea: find a generic, general purpose electric motor, say 1/2 HP. Hopefully you have a few inches of shaft (she said). Take torch and put a decent bend in the shaft, say 30 deg, just outside of the bearing end. Et Voila!! Instant vibrator, just bolt it onto your equipment (ahem...)
    ...OK, cough again, please.

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Okay, since youre the one who brought it up, why not use one of the actual, adult function vibrators? They make corded models that put out a fair bit of vibration, seems like $20 and change would be a lot easier than trying to cobble something together:
    https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Hand...sr=8-4&x=0&y=0

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    "This is the motor on a sandblast cabinet I have - Fasco Model D1130. It is only 3" long by 3.'" diameter. If you need a picture of the bracket let me know. It does not have an external shaft."

Now that's interesting, I guess they just have an out of balance rotor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X