Monarch CY lathe help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarch CY lathe help

Anyone know about the old Monarch CY lathes? This one is a 16 X 30. Motor HP is my question as well as realistic price range. Anyone more familiar with more details is great also 😁.
    Thanks!

The CY came with 5, 7 1/2 or 10HP motors. On the 16x30 it's most likely to be the 5HP, but you could order it any size.

Hard to determine price from just a model number. Kind of like asking "What's my F150 worth?" The value is mostly determined by how common similar tooling is available locally. A lathe like that in meh shape might bring $700 in the rustbelt but $2K in the southwest. Tooling would be above that, typically. That being said a friend got a nice condition LeBlond 16x54 with good tooling for $700 here in the middle of the desert southwest, so you never know.

Comment

When the Monarch lathes were new, they were some of the premium machines out there. That was a long time ago, depends on condition and other variables.
      Last edited by Toolguy; 04-01-2020, 09:23 PM.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Thanks for the input. In my area machine tools are very over priced. I have a 10-40 Sheldon exk circa 1954. I could sell it for probably 1500.00 with zero tooling. The same would go for a fraction in many parts. It's a decent lathe but bigger is better 😁.

Comment

The question is what is it worth to you? If you aren't buying it to resell then the price is whatever your wallet can stand. I have a few tools I got really cheap but I've been buying stuff for 10 years, I have other things that were too expensive but I really wanted them. Think of how much you could do with a lathe in say 5 years and compare that to getting "that awesome deal" 5 years from now. That said condition is everything. When I first started to outfit the shop I wasn't as picky as I am now.
          Mike
          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

They are good machines. We had a a pair of Monarch 16" × 54" CWs at one shop I worked in, they were great. They had been sped up to obtain about 1,000 RPM on the top end and both had 10 HP motors. We sold one - this was maybe around 2007 - and replaced it with an American 24" lathe. As I recall we got about $3,500 for it.

Comment

Working...
            X