Hodgson Radial 9 cyl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George,
    Thank you for your thoughts. I have seen you and admired your beautiful work at NAMES and the DeBolt show. I greatly value your skills.

The more I think about the comments here and on another forum, I suspect the carb. Your comments regarding carbs reinforces that line of thought.

I am also concerned about the prop. I chose it for aesthetics, and that it would not overhang the wood platform. That way I can enclose in a box for transport. I just may add a temporary flywheel.

I believe you are from Ohio also. I think you may be aware of the Ford Trimotor project in Port Clinton. Your name has come up there. I have been somewhat involved in that project over the last couple years.

If if you are ever contemplating coming to NW Ohio, maybe we can get together.

Thanks again for your advice. Regards,
    Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,
      Yes I live in Strongsville. On a motorcycle trip to the air museum I started talking to one of the fellows who was restoring the Tri-motor. He mentioned that they needed a piece machined so I volunteered and took it home. He said it was the only casting they had. It took quite a bit of finagling to get the dimensions out of that casting but it came out well. I have probably talked to you at the NAMES show. Last year I had several fellows introduce themselves and they said they were involved with that project.
      gbritnell

Comment

Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
        ... An engine that size requires quite a large heavy prop for the flywheel affect. When I first got my engine to run it didn't run well except at higher rpm's. I had a bronze flywheel in my stash of parts and bored it to fit the crank on the radial. The engine then ran very well and I eventually made my own large aluminum prop. ... https://youtu.be/V8SDqPE4kZA

George, your four "Laws of Model Engineering" should be made a sticky, perhaps in Favorite Threads. They could prevent a lot of consternation.

The video shows your radial running at an apparent slow speed, as evidenced by the motion of the rocker arms. If I was there I would delight in getting in close to look at the motions. But I would not dare get within range of that whirling over-sized prop. I understand the wish to have it, but a spoked flywheel gets my vote.
        Last edited by aostling; 04-14-2020, 02:21 PM.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

You know sometimes you get a little careless or complacent when doing things but when I was running the engine with that prop I thought of every move I made or was going to make. It wasn't just for the flywheel effect but also for cooling. When I designed the prop I made it so I could adjust the pitch, not on the fly but statically. The more pitch the greater the load.
          gbritnell

Comment

The comment of using a propane torch to fuel the engine is a great one. Was a big help when I was troubleshooting my hit and miss engine. I just shoved the propane torch over the carb, the torch mixes the propane and air perfectly so no seal is needed. (turn off the liqid fuel of course). When I tried that with my hit and miss engine it started and ran beautifully after fighting it for days.

Comment

Does anyone know the outcome of this build?

Comment

Does anyone know the outcome of this build?
                Jon is my cousin, and I see him regularly. Unfortunately, he had a stroke a bit over a year ago, and hasn't really worked in the shop since. Recovery has been slow at best.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post
                  Jon is my cousin, and I see him regularly. Unfortunately, he had a stroke a bit over a year ago, and hasn't really worked in the shop since. Recovery has been slow at best.
                  Sorry to hear this.

Comment

Excuse me if this has already been addressed but you mentioned a spark plug gap of .020. I recommend increasing the gap at least .015 to .020. This will force the ignition system to produce a larger (hotter) spark which it can easily do. Your crossfire concerns at the distributor are quite valid.

Comment

Working...
                    X