Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPeter
    replied
    To clear up a couple of things. The knob on the jack was not my original idea. Someone else suggested it and I thought it was good so I machined the knob and installed it.

The trick to getting the table level is to connect everything, level the table after running it up and down a few times to get all the slack out of the straps by moving the winch left to right AND THEN BOLT THE WINCH DOWN!!

Actually, the winch would lift a lot more, but it really is just about right for ease of use and at less than $20 delivered.

The hand wheel is from a tailstock or apron feed. It was a gift and what I had on hand. Works perfect. The acme screw was a broken vise screw, another gift.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Even if he did match the orange paint, it wouldn't fade to pink like the Chinese stuff!

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    My comment on your excellent handwheel design is snarky: how on earth are you going to match that Chinese orange paint? LOL

As for the strap winch table hoist, very interesting design. How did you get everything aligned so both ends of the table are lifted equally? My hoist table winch design has been working well for 2 years now. It isn't perfect, but it's much better than it used to be and always works with a little fiddling:

- metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    The double strap winch is brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That is a great knurled knob. I love it.

Why are almost all screw heads or nuts and even some knobs always made too small for the intended use. I love changing the small, OEM ones for ones that are a decent size and that do not hurt my fingers when I use them.

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
    The knurled knob looked like a really great idea, so I made one today. It is a huge improvement, thank you. I attached mine with a ¼x20 set screw.

Peter

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200408_150840650 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	1867328

Leave a comment:

• Duckfarmer27
    replied
    Very nicely done. About a month ago I got an old OTC press at an auction that is somewhat similar in design. Have not really needed to use it yet but it adjusts easily. Except for the lower anvil - it (and the whole press) is one heavy animal. But using a floor jack the lower anvil can be moved as necessary. This was a non working greasy dirty mess when I got it, which was good. Rebuilt the pump and twin cylinder ram. Rated at 30 tons. Only posting as I have never seen one quite like this and am posting as it might offer ideas to someone.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• AntonLargiader
    replied
    The issue with counter weights is that different loads on the table will require different counter weights. This way, I put the work on the table and bring to where ever it wants to be and insert the cross pins and release the tension on the straps and I am good to go.
    I'll counterweight it to just under the weight of the table and plates, so I can easily move it vertically by hand (will have to figure out how to handle removing the plates). My workpieces aren't usually that heavy so I can probably just move them with the table, but I will typically be moving the table alone. I thought about the crank stuff, but this should be MUCH faster. Pretty much like suspending gravity while I move the table.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    When I was designing my press, I decided to run the jack upside down. It was more work because I had to add a fluid tank and some piping to allow for that- but it works great. The end of the ram has a guide attached to it to keep it centered between the towers, and the threaded extension became a removable piece. I had some acme rod of the same size and thread as the jack has, so I cut a few pieces on which I can make custom shapes on the 'business' end. I took the nut out of an actuator, and I run the nut onto the threaded part, then insert the extension into the ram and run the nut up snug by hand. That keeps the extension tight to the ram- though it does now transfer the force to the threads in the nut rather than the threads in the ram. But it works and is not an obstruction in the working space. One job I had required me to press inside of a lengthy tube, so in that case the extension piece became fairly long- but at least it made the job possible.

With the jack upside down, the pump is now operated from the top of the press. I made some linkage to allow easy operation, get rid of the pump handle play, and give a bit more mechanical advantage. Because the linkage is in a fixed position between the columns, I can easily add a foot pedal to it so both hands are free.

I was well aware of the issue of ram speed, so I opted to go with less than a 20 ton jack. I have a 20 ton on my flat bar bender, and it's slow. I've opened the pressure limit valve many times on the smaller jack- haven't reached that point yet on the 20 ton.

Still looking at ways to motorize them without spending too dearly.

Leave a comment:

• CPeter
    replied
    The issue with counter weights is that different loads on the table will require different counter weights. This way, I put the work on the table and bring to where ever it wants to be and insert the cross pins and release the tension on the straps and I am good to go.

Leave a comment:

• AntonLargiader
    replied
    I have that same orange press. My plan is similar to yours but with counterweights. One hand should be able to lift or lower the table to the desired level.

Leave a comment:

• CPeter
    replied
    The square threaded ram extension is just as handy. Put the table where you want it, run the ram extension down and a few cranks on the hydraulic Jack and the job is done. No more one million cranks on the jack to get to the work with the ram and moving the table is safe and fast. This should be an option. Would probably ad another $25 to the cost and 20 of that would be profit!
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    An Update.
    I have added an winch to raise and lower the bed on the press. Been thinking on this for a while and trying to come up with a way to deal with the cable from the winch. Last week, I looked at winches on EBAY and saw some that had a strap instead of cable and came up with a new plan. I ordered up the winch, $20 delivered! First job was to cut the strap and instead of one lead from the winch have two. I have an industrial sewing machine for leather, so joining the two together was no problem. I then made two rollers to guide the strap over the top of to columns.To attach to the bed I made up some extensions and put a ½" cross bar through them. I got everything in place except the winch was only clamped so I could adjust it to even out the straps if I needed to, and I did need to make and final adjustment. I sewed loops at the end of the straps, got the the table level, ran it up and down a few time and then bolted it in place. It works great!

Peter
    rClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_190437876 (Medium).jpg
Views:	433
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1869974

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_190518255 (Medium).jpg
Views:	435
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1869975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200418_190530963 (Medium).jpg
Views:	438
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1869976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200419_165442006 (Medium).jpg
Views:	426
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1869977

That sir is uber slick! I trust we'll see a post in a few months where you motorized it.

Leave a comment:

• wdtom44
    replied
    Yes, I too like the strap/winch setup, that is after I finally saw how the strap was routed to both sides of the press. Is the winch over kill though? would a "direct drive" winch drum do it maybe?

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    That strap design looks great! That should become the defacto-press lift.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Nice job on Acme Thread&Handwheel,Straps look good also Great Ideas!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X