OT - Famous (or not famous) machinist / engineer sayings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Famous (or not famous) machinist / engineer sayings

What are some of your favorite shop sayings from machinists, mechanics, and engineers? I have one which has guided my career quite well:

"The supreme excellence in machinery is in its simplicity" -- James Watt, ~1790.

(Yes, *that* James Watt, of steam engine fame, who gave us the Horsepower.)
    What are your favorite sayings? It doesn't matter who said them or what year they were
    as long as its mechanical.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Along came Henry with a hammer and a board
    And he picked up a tin can and made himself a Ford --- That's only a couple of lines from my uncle Jimmy's "creation song". Another part went "Adam he was the first man invented, He lived all alone and he never was contented.--Made him out of mud as the days went by, and hung him on the fence just to see how he'd dry." I googled that, and it was actually a childrens creation song from one of the religions. Uncle Jimmy's words were considerably different than the children's version.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I cut it twice and its still to short.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Not necessarily always familiar to machinists and engineers, but I think that Dieter Rams' 10 Principles of Design are excellent things to always keep in mind while designing something.

Dieter Rams, Vitsœ's furniture designer. Ten principles for good design (sometimes referred to as the ‘Ten commandments’).
        Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Advice from a machinist friend of mine, when your doing close tolerance work; "Sneak up on it like a blind paraplegic"

If you got one of your fingers involved; "keep at it - you'll get a feel for it"

If you drew blood; "Shop Band-aids $1.35 apiece"

Comment

My Dad's favorite: That's thinner than a mosquito's rear end stretched over a rain barrel!

Comment

My Grandfather's favorite He couldn't hit a jackass in the ass with a bass fiddle!

Comment

The old shop supervisor was known to say "That chit is harder than a whores heart."

lg
                no neat sig line
                near Salem OR

Comment

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary repair.
                  Jim

Comment

Shop rate :

$50 an hour.
                    $75 if you watch
                    $100 If you help
                    $125 if you tried to fix it first.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
                      "
                      12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                      Index "Super 55" mill
                      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                      24" State disc sander

Comment

one of mine... "That's tighter than a bull's butt in fly season" (well, you can guess how it actually goes...)
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

F-----d that up didn't you!

Take a bit more off, a gnats cock.

Comment

If it doesn’t fit, force it.
                            If it breaks, it was defective.
                            SE MI, USA

Comment

I was trying to figure out how to make something and asked a machinist friend. He told me to just machine away everything that wasn't it. That smart ass answer has actually helped me through a lot of problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X