Cleaning off dried up WD40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    It's hard to believe that WD40 is taken so seriously by such knowledgeable people - not just here, but all over the hobby machinists world. WD40 is the half-assed solution for any job except water displacement. It's the one-stop, convenient, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of product. Paint thinner, naphtha, alcohol are far better solvents. Pretty much any oil is a better lube. Paint thinner & alcohol are better cutting fluids for aluminum. Any made-for penetrant is better. Rust protection? seriously?

[/Rant]
    Actually, WD40 DOES seem to contain "some" oil or other similar material. That's what forms the goo (maybe it IS the goo to begin with). But it seems to be less than half of the total volume.

And, it DOES provide short-term rust protection. A test in the weather will show that short-term is a couple days, outside, but sometimes that is enough.

If you tend to use water-based cleaners, as I do, WD40 is a cheap, effective, way to get the last bits of water off of a cleaned part, and avoid the flash rust that often appears within a couple minutes on cleaned parts. Just dunk them, and let the WD run off for a couple minutes.

Things like purple cleaner get all the protective oil off the surface, and flash rust is an issue. WD does avoid that, and the amount of "coating" can be less than what leaves any significant amount of "goo" on the part

Beats thick oil on the parts, and oil does not drive off water as well. (WD is not perfect even at that, it's original purpose, but it is better than straight oil).

Using it as "oil"? Forget it.

Using it as rust protection for more than a short time? Forget that also.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-08-2020, 11:01 AM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
      It's hard to believe that WD40 is taken so seriously by such knowledgeable people - not just here, but all over the hobby machinists world. WD40 is the half-assed solution for any job except water displacement. It's the one-stop, convenient, jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of product. Paint thinner, naphtha, alcohol are far better solvents. Pretty much any oil is a better lube. Paint thinner & alcohol are better cutting fluids for aluminum. Any made-for penetrant is better. Rust protection? seriously?

[/Rant]
      " the hobby machinists world. " ?

who do you think buys the 10l canisters of wd-40 that are sold all over the world? you can get that stuff everywhere. why? because it doesnt work?

besides it smells nice and i like it on my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post

There is now a range of things, including lubricants, called WD40. However, the original was a water dispersant (hence WD) and not a lubricant. I wonder what it is that you're shaking up off the bottom.

From experience, I'm with the ones who find that WD40 leaves a sticky varnish if left for a long time.

George B.
        There actually is some oil in WD40, its just a really lightweight kind. Its listed in the MSDS as "Petroleum Base Oil", hardly specific, but it does make up less than 35% of the product

Comment

I have never tried alcohol when cutting aluminum. What kind? Drugstore isopropyl ? And can you get it in a nice spray can like WD40?
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Vodka?
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

" the hobby machinists world. " ?

who do you think buys the 10l canisters of wd-40 that are sold all over the world? you can get that stuff everywhere. why? because it doesnt work?

besides it smells nice and i like it on my hands.
              Its the biggest scam the world has ever seen! The WD40 people were able to convince major industry all over the world to buy their worthless product in bulk for almost 70 years. What a bunch of suckers!!!

In all seriousness, its a great product for what it does. If you don't think its a lubricant, try spraying some on a squeaky hinge - the squeak stops.

I've used the stuff as a lubricant, a solvent (helps cut grease or tar off your tools, hands or even out of your clothes!), a water displacer, a protectant, a penetrating oil, a mold release, honing oil, gun oil, cutting oil and more I can't remember. Maybe its not the best for all applications, but its pretty good for most of them. And its always around! Probably because its dirt cheap. I bet I have 3 or 4 cans of WD40 laying around for every can of Kroil. I don't think I've had a job where there weren't cans of it floating around.

I'm not sure where the hate comes from. Maybe some weird desire to show others how much interwebs nonsense one can regurgitate?

Comment

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
                ... Maybe some weird desire to show others how much interwebs nonsense one can regurgitate?
                Going ad hominem is usually a sign of uncertainty in ones position.

Comment

Well then, until vodka is a cheap as WD40 and come in a spray can, I guess I'll keep cutting aluminum with WD40.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Gonna have to try Ed's Red as a cutting fluid on aluminum. Love it as a penetrating oil.

Comment

Working...
                    X