Roadside Score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Score!

I saw a pedestal with an electric motor, in a mount with parts missing from the mount. There was a rotted V belt, and a grinder mount with a driven pulley, a wire wheel, and a grinding wheel, 62 grit.

On disassembling the little pedestal, I found one nut CW, and one nut CCW. This hasn't been done for a very long time. Further disassembly revealed BABBITT BEARINGS!

My original game plan was to drill out, and machine bronze bushings, but this is OLD! Bad old. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures.

The electric motor was locked up, but it turned out to be clogged with wasps' nests. Once that was shaken out, and the wire connection refreshed, the motor ran.

that's a cool find!

Comment

Photos please

Comment

Let's see some pics. There is a grinder like that on my brother-in-law's farm ... very very simple but it's been throwing sparks in the farm shop for four generations! The motor got replaced at some point with a more modern Leeson motor but everything else is original.

Comment

What do you mean, are the left side nuts of a pedestal buffer NOT left thread anymore?😲

Comment

I guess with your name it's going to be a buffer. ...am I right ?

Comment

I'll try to do photos today.

Should I drill out and replace the Babbitt with bronze?

I already have a grinder made of a two shaft dryer motor. I may even sell it. Don't know. The grinding wheel needs dressing, and the wire wheel is badly rusted, but serviceable.

Comment

if there's no significant play in the bearings, I'd keep it as is. Obviously worked when originally made.

Comment

Lots of slop in the bearings. Greater than 1/16". By the size, I could use hardware store ready made bearings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1299.JPG Views:	0 Size:	182.2 KB ID:	1867049Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1300.JPG Views:	0 Size:	163.9 KB ID:	1867052Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1302.JPG Views:	0 Size:	223.6 KB ID:	1867050Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1303.JPG Views:	0 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	1867051
                  Last edited by John Buffum; 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

that'll clean up nice!

as for bushings, depends on how period you want to keep it. If you want the old timey look, oilite bushings would look a treat. If you want functional, I'd make a couple of bearing inserts and use cartridge ball bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                      that'll clean up nice!

as for bushings, depends on how period you want to keep it. If you want the old timey look, oilite bushings would look a treat. If you want functional, I'd make a couple of bearing inserts and use cartridge ball bearings.
                      Not enough meat for BB. Store bot'n oillites would do well.

Comment

makes sense, has oilers too!

Comment

The babbitt can be heated and removed to give you a solid base to fit the oilite bearings. That would make it a really nice find !

Is this a YOU SUCK find? Appreciate the pictures there always helpful to all of us that have a hard time with the written description.

TX
                          Mr fixit for the family
                          Chris

Comment

Somehow I doubt melting the Babbitt out will leave you a machined bore , ready for bushings..

Comment

Oilite bearings are not high speed, and I doubt they woul;d hold up very well. Get a little babit and melt out, mix and re-pour. Will last longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X