MT3 or R-8 for drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT3 or R-8 for drill press

I tried to search, but everything I came up was for mills. Looking at a drill press and have narrowed down to to one set up for MT3 taper or one set up for R-8 taper. Would one be better for a drill press? More than likely won’t be drilling many large holes, but would like the option. Thanks.

Well, there are lots of MT3 shank drill bits but I've never seen any with R8
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Comment

I have never seen an R8 drill press. And never seen an R8 shank drill.

Comment

The taper in the drill press spindle is commonly used to hold the arbor that mates to the chuck. You can also get drills that have an integral MT shaft that goes directly into the spindle without a chuck. An MT (Morse Taper) is self holding. An R-8 taper needs a drawbar to hold it in place. I doubt that you will find a home shop sized drill press that uses an R-8 taper.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Like the others said. MT3. I have a 20" DP and it has a MT3 and has never failed. JR

Comment

A drill mill can have an R8 taper, and you can get R8 adaptors to take MT2 and 3 tanged drill bits as well as R8 to MT using a drawbar in the MT instead of the R8. Drill mills don't have the capacity of floor standing drill presses, but can be bigger than bench drills. I have never heard of a drill press with R8, as already mentioned the taper is too steep to work without a drawbar. If your budget allows, and the expected size of work is not too big, the drill mill is more versatile, and the R8 spindle types are the best bet rather than the MT spindle ones.

Comment

If its *just* a drill press and will never be used as a mill, then go with MT spindle and tooling. As mentioned, MT tooling is self-holding, but it doesn't do well with side-loading like a mill would see.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ll-Press/G0784 This is the one with the R-8 taper.

Comment

That Grizzly is an odd setup. Morse taper has been a standard on drilling machines for many years, and for that reason alone I's stay with it.

lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

Comment

Dollars to donuts that R-8 is a misprint in the specs. Like was said, an R-8 will have to have a drawbar, I see no drawbar. Now the other possibility is that the drill press quill has a Jacobs taper that takes a captive chuck. Many cheaper drill press have that set-up. OK UNTIL the chuck slips on the taper then you will never again hold a chuck secure and true.

Joe B

Comment

Looks like they're selling a mill/drill head on a drill press pedestal. Overall it looks like a stout machine. There's nothing wrong with having an R-8 on a drill press, unless you're already tooled up with larger drills that have MT shanks. You can get some fairly large drills, Silver & Deming reduced shank type, that take a 1/2 collet.

Comment

Taking a closer look, It appears that Tom-d is correct. I see the geared down feed mechanism,as on a mill -drill.

Joe B

Comment

Grizzly, y'all must be smoking the good stuff. Buy that one if you want the value to drop 3x in day one.

[...] and you can get R8 adaptors to take MT2 and 3 tanged drill bits [...]
                          Not much fun to undo a draw bar, bang out a drill, replace drill, then screw the arbor back in. That gets pretty slow.

For those doubting it being an R8, it definitely does have a drawbar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drawbar.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1867302
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

A couple of the Grizzlys with R8 taper also have crossslide tables with power feed . This screams use as a mill also.
                            Mike

Comment

Metal butcher, what do you recommend instead of grizzly?

Comment

Working...
                              X