Sigh. I did it. I finally succumbed to social pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh. I did it. I finally succumbed to social pressure

Sigh. I did it. I finally succumbed to social pressure. I bought a current edition of Machinery's Handbook. The snickering of me peers has finally brought me to my knees.

I was reading my perfectly acceptable 11th Editions published in 1942 and the darn thing wasn't making any sense. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what an egalitarian kumquat had to do with spanner emulsification. Then I realized the fine print was getting to be to much for me. I bought a Large Print 31st Edition kindergarten version.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Sigh. I did it. I finally succumbed to social pressure. I bought a current edition of Machinery's Handbook. The snickering of me peers has finally brought me to my knees.

I was reading my perfectly acceptable 11th Editions published in 1942 and the darn thing wasn't making any sense. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what an egalitarian kumquat had to do with spanner emulsification. Then I realized the fine print was getting to be to much for me. I bought a Large Print 31st Edition kindergarten version.
    Hahhaaaa.. JR

Comment

Nice! A large print edition is on my list, my eye's just aren't what they used to be.. I love the way they offer a CD that is already cross-indexed, that is just the most useful thing!
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Eyeglasses.

Optivisor.

I have several pairs of readers at each workbench - different powers. As well as several Optivisors in the shop.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          Eyeglasses.

Optivisor.

I have several pairs of readers at each workbench - different powers. As well as several Optivisors in the shop.
          And...... a LOT of light!

Comment

I bought the 29th on disc, what a disappointment, I wasted my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              Eyeglasses.

Optivisor.

Been wearing bifocals for a few years already....optivisors are next. Oddly enough, I have to take my glasses off altogether to get up close on really tiny stuff. I'm not knowledgable about optics though, couldn't say why.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I was due to go in next week to have my cataracts taken care of via laser surgery (right eye at first) but they've cancelled all elective surgeries so who knows when I will be getting it done. Meanwhile it's progressively getting harder and harder to see.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Been wearing bifocals for a few years already....optivisors are next. Oddly enough, I have to take my glasses off altogether to get up close on really tiny stuff. I'm not knowledgable about optics though, couldn't say why.
                  You must be nearsighted. If not before, you may be now. Cataracts start affecting the "refractive index" of the eye's lens, apparently. That makes the lens stronger, and you more nearsighted.

Also, most eye docs won't make bifocals very strong. They think "OK" vision at 18" is fine. I had to bully mine for bifocals to let me read the small numbers on SMT resistors (0805 size). He thought that was "really strong", even though in my case it meant actually making the lens more like window glass, since I AM nearsighted. I could read all that stuff without glasses
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    I was due to go in next week to have my cataracts taken care of via laser surgery (right eye at first) but they've cancelled all elective surgeries so who knows when I will be getting it done. Meanwhile it's progressively getting harder and harder to see.
                    I had my cataract surgery last year. I'm really glad I did it. I can drive, walk, most normal activities without any glasses. No fogging up when I come in from the cold, no raindrops on my glasses. My only drawback is needing reading glasses. Can no longer take off my glasses to get up close to really small stuff. I still hesitate to get in the shower without removing my glasses...........that's what 60+ years of training do for you.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      I bought the 29th on disc, what a disappointment, I wasted my money.
                      What's wrong with it?

Comment

Working...
                      X