Social distancing and general illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social distancing and general illness

Don't know if this has been talked about or not, but I would assume that if social distancing works, that illnesses of many types would be down now as well- particularly colds and flu. Are there any numbers substantiating this?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I would think you're right. And not only infectious diseases, but also things like traffic fatalities, industrial mishaps,etc. may be offset in the final analysis. ...though probably not one-for-one.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Physical distancing has no choice but to work, depending on the degree to which it is followed. No numbers are particularly necessary to know that yes - transmissible diseases WILL be reduced, as will (due to staying in) car accidents, pollution numbers, etc. This, of course, comes at an economic cost. Numbers on a great variety of relevant things may be years away, and will likely never be as accurate as they could have been.

Comment

In the UK crime is down 20%. No specific details, just a passing news comment.

Comment

In S Africa we have had twenty corona deaths. We have also had nine deaths due to police brutality keeping sure that social distancing takes place. We have also had twenty two liquor stores broken into and four schools burnt down to the ground as well as twenty two schools broken into and vandalized.

Comment

We have also had twenty two liquor stores broken into and four schools burnt down to the ground as well as twenty two schools broken into and vandalized.
            in our big cities we call this "Wednesday"

Comment

In California the Insurance Commissioner has instructed insurance companies (which are regulated) to refund or give credit for the monthly auto insurance payments. With car traffic at a small fraction of normal, the accident rates are down and so are the insurance claims. It makes sense when the average Californian is now staying in home and driving only to the Dr or local store, and those trips are supposed to be infrequent.

Of course, this ignores the fact that there are people getting very high speed traffic tickets on almost empty super freeways. 100+ MPH on long empty stretches between cities appears to be a common citation. That's based on news stories.
              Last edited by danlb; 04-13-2020, 06:14 PM.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                In S Africa we have had twenty corona deaths. We have also had nine deaths due to police brutality keeping sure that social distancing takes place. We have also had twenty two liquor stores broken into and four schools burnt down to the ground as well as twenty two schools broken into and vandalized.
                That sounds terrible. I hope people come to grips with this before they destroy the infrastructure that you need for the future.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  In California the Insurance Commissioner has instructed insurance companies (which are regulated) to refund or give credit for the monthly auto insurance payments. With car traffic at a small fraction of normal, the accident rates are down and so are the insurance claims.
                  Here in Texas, Amica Insurance notified me that my auto premium would be discounted 20% for this reason. They also stopped policy cancellations, non-renewals, and are giving leniency on payments due.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

in our big cities we call this "Wednesday"
                    lol U just scored a like for that one lol

Comment

Plunger- it pains me to hear this is happening in S Africa. Who is doing this- and why?

I lived in Africa for awhile, Rhodesia to be specific (now Zimbabwe). I was there for a new years eve- what a celebration that was. Anything goes- drag racing through broken glass down the main street of Salisbury, people in the streets at the same time. I'm sure there were some deaths- I know there were many drunken lunatics out and about. Not being racist- scariest thing I saw was blacks with beer in them. Totally out of control. Definitely not tea time-
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        Here in Texas, Amica Insurance notified me that my auto premium would be discounted 20% for this reason. They also stopped policy cancellations, non-renewals, and are giving leniency on payments due.
                        GEICO did the same. I don't recall them saying any percent but they said they'd forgive payments or something. I don't really care. I'm retired and only carry liability.

I wish Amazon would do the same. They just renewed my Prime but shipments for most "non-essential" items has been a week or more. That's what it was before I joined prime.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                          S Africa is shot...get out while you can.

Comment

My spam email is a lot less. Strange things happening.
                            Nev.

Comment

My country is beautiful and its its got beautiful people in it. Its just been destroyed by a few greedy politicians . I hope we get through this corona thing. Things are hard enough already.And I have it real easy.I sit in lockdown with as much food as I want working in my workshop and moaning about running out of bolts. Im becoming fat.
                              But many of my countrys citizens are living in shacks smaller than my bathroom. They have no running water ,electricity,internet ,toilet or money for food .We live in a very cruel world.
                              Its got the potential to explode and then we all are in real trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X