No announcement yet.

OT: Mowed the lawn, whch involved starting the mower first time after winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Mowed the lawn, whch involved starting the mower first time after winter

Before attempting tp start, I looked, and discovered that I did not drain the gas tank last fall, as I usually do. But, I tried starting it anyway.

What do you suppose happened? (Hint: It was different than what happens typically when I do drain it.)
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

It ran. Just like mine did.

Comment

Uhhh, it fired right up?

Comment

Maybe I've been lucky but mine has fired up in the Spring with no more than one extra pump of the primer bulb and a couple of extra pulls for many years now. It's been about 13 years that I've had it and I should likely show it some love by washing it one of these years.

Oil change every other year and it still comes out looking not much dirtier than it went in. Sharpen the blade once a year.

Big secret is to feed it gasoline without any alky in it. So it actually gets fed better than my motorcycles.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Yep, the sumbeach started on the first pull. I figured it was going to need the carb cleaned, which is usual for when I have drained the tank and let it run dry.

Regular alky gas, too.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

All of the alcohol is being used for hand sanitizers....and booze for those who are staying home to self-distance.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Mine's ethyl gas too. Pressure washer started right up, so did the woodchipper and generator.

Comment

I start my generators monthly. I missed about 4 months in a row when out of town. With my old generator I used to give the rope a few pulls to "prime it" before using the electric start. Both of my new generators surprised me by starting on the second slow pull. Both had gas treated with sta-bil.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I just started up the Kawasaki you see in my avatar late this afternoon after it had been sitting since around Sept or Oct 2017. It uses 91 octane so still alky in the gas. I do fill it before winter storage though to avoid condensation and rusting of the tank. It sat this long because the last couple of years I insured and rode the Moto Guzzi instead.

I spun it for about 3/4 of a second the first time got a couple of pops but no start. Tried again and it was running almost before I could tap and release the starter button..... .Gotta LOVE fuel injection ! ! ! ! ! That's even better than your lawn mower ! ! ! !

It's been like this after layoffs the whole time I've owned it. Never any trouble starting with that one. The Suzuki DR350 with kick only though... that's being a real bear of a thing. I think it figured out that I want to sell it to a buddy......

Insurance tomorrow and go riding. A solo ride is one of the few fun things to do which totally embraces social distancing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1000 Train Sm.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	1868296
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Hey you guys, one of the benefits to living in a northern state is winter. My tractor gets only one month's rest, sometimes less, between late fall last mowing, leaf clean ups, and the first snow plowing of winter. The gas is never more than half a dozen weeks old any time of year. Plowed snow in February, and between spring fit out and a steering gear repair done yesterday, the machine is running every month of the year.

Now, my Yamaha 360 powered generator, gets started monthly and run for an hour with fresh gas added. Shut off is always by gas valve and let run dry. I really don't need it to clog up when the power is off and cold, wet, ice is caking up on my head as I try to start it.

So, you guys in AZ, CA, FL, TX etc., just need to move back to a snow belt state, then you won't have gummed up gas tanks. Makes sense right?
                    S E Michigan

Comment

So, you guys in AZ, CA, FL, TX etc., just need to move back to a snow belt state, then you won't have gummed up gas tanks. Makes sense right?
                      Hell, why not just move to Alaska ! ! ! ! Home of 10 months of winter and two months of bad snow mobiling ! ! !
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

BC, ya, but then you gotta buy bear spray, moose repellent, a plane, more stuff to take up garage space. And, heck, a trip to Walmart is an overnighter.....but then, nobody to bug you either. Hmmmmm......
                        S E Michigan

Comment

I never drain gas from anything. However every gallon of gas I pump for any small engine or the old tractor gets Sta-Bil. I actually put it in the cans before going to the gas station so I don't forget. If the gas in the cans sits to long (more than 6 months) then I dump it in the truck and go get fresh gas.
                          Mike
                          Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Both of my generators and my lawnmower all have fuel shut off valves. I shut the valves and let them run until they quit. I never drain the tanks, use regular pump gas and haven't had a problem.
                            I mowed my lawn yesterday for the first time this season and after sitting all winter with 1/2 tank of fuel it started with one pull. With my chainsaw & brushcutter, after every use, I pour unused fuel back into the gas can and start them back up and run them until they die.

Comment

I too use Sta-bil in my gas can. Have a 2 1/2 gal. can I use for the lawnmower and the snowblower. Every spring, before my first mowing, I empty the can into my truck, fill it and add Sta-bil. The lawnmower starts on the second pull, the snowblower is electric start and starts almost immediately. Love that Sta-bil.

Comment

Working...
                              X