W&S Cutter Grinding Gage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W&S Cutter Grinding Gage?

Somewhere along the way, I acquired this gage. What is it for? Does it have any use in a home shop?
    Peter
    Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966-002.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	1868464
    Attached Files
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Maybe back clearance for a HSS lathe bit? The 71* side may be for steel and the 64* side for alum? Just a guess.
    Kansas City area

Comment

For W&S turret lathes, Used to assist in grinding the cutter for a single cutter turning tool.

Comment

Looks like it is a crude (stamped sheet metal) gauge for grinding tools to those two or three angles. I say possibly three because there appears to be a third angle along the top edge, possibly for negative top rake on a lathe tool.

Is it useful in a home shop? Well, if you need one or more of those three angles, with only marginal accuracy, then by all means, use it. Personally I would toss it in the scrap steel bin and use it when I need a piece of unknown alloy steel about that size. Or is it aluminum?
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          Looks like it is a crude (stamped sheet metal) gauge for grinding tools to those two or three angles. I say possibly three because there appears to be a third angle along the top edge, possibly for negative top rake on a lathe tool.

Is it useful in a home shop? Well, if you need one or more of those three angles, with only marginal accuracy, then by all means, use it. Personally I would toss it in the scrap steel bin and use it when I need a piece of unknown alloy steel about that size. Or is it aluminum?
          There are shops that still run and make money with Warner and Swasey turret lathes.
          I'd put it up on Fleabay and find a buyer.
          It's similar in function to these. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...te=1&LH_Sold=1

Comment

From W&S’ ‘Turret Lathe Operators Manual’ https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001616106

Click image for larger version

Name:	9EE914D1-4E83-4A17-B408-8B4E45DEE042.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1868868

Comment

Working...
            X