No announcement yet.

How clean is your shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm drooling over the large work areas. I occupy about half of the basement to our house. I have crap stowed away everywhere. I have my lathe and mill, a couple metal shelving racks next to each for the "stuff". Then I have a bench that has 4 presses for making bullets, along with the jackets and boxes of bullets, etc. Then a reloading desk with another press and drawers and shelves with all that "stuff. I have one small bench that gets the "other" work, my welder next to it. I keep a walkway to get in and out. At 65, I don't think it's worth trying to expand into an outbuilding.

Comment

I need to get better organized I bought a truck load of shelving for my other shop. Now they are just sitting on the pallets in the way. I have been sick, not the corona virus. Click image for larger version

Name:	11841F7C-18ED-45C4-85DF-59DDA0B91A65.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	895.5 KB
ID:	1870627

Comment

When I first saw this post a week ago I thought I'd put something in. I went into my shop and found such a mess that a cow would not be able to find her own calf in all the clutter. I've been working on it for the past week now.

But you know how it goes. Put two things away and find a third that "only needs 5 minutes to make X and I can put it away". Many MANY multiples of that cursed 5 minutes later I'm still working on it. But mom is happy to find her calf in all the clutter at least... I've made THAT much progress. And put away easily a half dozen things that got finished or repaired.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have to admit my setup is embarrassing, I have to clean up. Its one reason why I don't post more projects.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            When I first saw this post a week ago I thought I'd put something in. I went into my shop and found such a mess that a cow would not be able to find her own calf in all the clutter. I've been working on it for the past week now.

But you know how it goes. Put two things away and find a third that "only needs 5 minutes to make X and I can put it away". Many MANY multiples of that cursed 5 minutes later I'm still working on it. But mom is happy to find her calf in all the clutter at least... I've made THAT much progress. And put away easily a half dozen things that got finished or repaired.
            That's exactly how it goes here too.

Comment

hah.... Cleaned the shop up. Then went out to the engine shed, and cleaned up there. Now the shop is messy again, because I brought in a half dozen projects that I found out in the engine shed waiting to be done. Had to move them as part of cleaning up out there.

There ain't no justice...!
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

I get sidetracked all the time doing major clean ups,usually stumble across a old tool or part that needs attention,I tell my Wife I'm kinda of a Scatterbrain and can't stay focused.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                  I know this should go on the other thread about shop sayings, but it fits in this thread perfectly
                  In the shop we did not allow anything under the benches !!!. That one element contributes to clutter -

Rich
                  Good point Rich. I'm in the middle of my new shop rehab (it's a pig pen) and I think I will adopt that policy.
                  -Roland
                  Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Working...
                  X